Fly Tying
john1962

My first elk hair caddis

Typo correction:  In my previous reply to this posting I erroneously incorrectly credited the "beautiful example".  It was of course the work of flytire, and we are therefore not surprised it was extremely well-tied!  

Regards,

lets not get into a pissing contest regarding elk hair

otherwise this will go into lockup

I could not figure out what was going on, bad elk hair never crossed my mind.  So obvious now that @flyflinger pointed it out.  

With that hair (many broken tips), you'll never get a fly as pretty as Norm's example. If your aim is to catch fish, it probably doesn't matter. 

I would work on cleaning up the head area. You can either trim the butts before tying in the wing or leave them long, tie in the wing, pull back the butts and whip finish under them, then trim. 

not every elk has perfectly groomed hairs without any broken tips

Db5T (2).gif

Don't have a patch of elk with clean tips? Tie a butch caddis instead, problem solved 😉

My 2 cents would be your thread is a little large for a #12 dry fly. I'd personally use 70 denier. You can give your bobbin a twist before tying in the elk hair to cord up the thread, too.