Fly Tying
Trouttramp

Fly tying is a dangerous sport

4 hours ago, Trouttramp said:

Notice the super magnet now down by my feet.

That Berber carpet is almost impossible to find a hook in.

The Gordon’s didn’t turn out all that well, never do. They will fish though.

I think the flies look just fine. That magnet looks like it could have de-hooked you. 🤣

Years ago I was fishing from shore on the tenn. River using open faced reel #6 eagle claw barbed hooks and night crawlers for catfish. I was not paying attention talking to my wife, the line bent the pole as I was hooking a night crawler and it slipped out of my hand with the hook inbeded past the barb at the tip of my index finger. Actually didn't hurt to much, but after brain storming the only thing I can do was push it out the other side and cut the barb off then remove the hook. Now that hurt like hell grabbing the hook with needle nosed pliers and pushing the hook through my finger, you would be surprise how damn tuff skin really is, and it took a while to push it out using force. I try to be as careful as possible now.

All this brought back a memory of when I went to see George Carlin in the 1980's.  Part of his act that night was defining what a sport was.  I remember he said something like "Activities and hobbies are fine but don't call them sports. If it can't cause injury or make you bleed it's not a sport".  "And golf isn't a sport, you know why?  Because there's no potential for violence,  auto racing- now that's a sport"!

I always think of fly fishing as more of an art or a craft but apparently it's a "sport". 😆 

Trouttramp those Gordons look great!

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Wonder how many hooks have bounced into that air vent.  

A few……..plus my favourite dubbing brush, a pair of hackle pliers and other detritus. 

In the wintertime that vent is great.  Keeps my feet nice and toasty.  

3 hours ago, DrLogik said:

duplicate

Quite the stutter you've got there…

and, yes, I dont tie flys barefoot anymore

In the early eighties I lived in New  Smyrna, worked out of Ponce inlet, mate on a party boat. Many times we’ve removed hooks from customers, ( 68 people limit) at there request. The biggest being a double shank 5/0, pushed it through to the barb, snip and out, guy almost fainted trying to push it through.