Fly Tying
harleyhunter

Interview For Hatches

I remember the old FTOY contests. I never entered but used to love going trough the various categories and voting on my favorites. Didnt the winner win a medal or something like that?

Yeah a few of the years at the start I think I remember Will having some actual medals made for the winners. Can't remember all the other prizes but I know we use to give away some other things as well. I think Stockard gave some gift certificates too back when they were a sponsor.

yeah, there was a lot going on back then. Some good, fun 'arguments' in The Lodge, too. I remember one went on for like 20 some pages. What's Will up to nowadays?

I remember there was hats, shirts, bamboo rods, medals, gift certificates, etc. The forum also had a sister site just for fly fishing. That also was a fun site to learn and share on. I learned almost everything I knew back then from those two forums.

I almost forgot about the rods. I think Chris did a bamboo one or two years, forgot I did a rod one or two years as well. The sister site TFF was fun. Facebook pretty much killed that site off like it has others over the years.

I still talk to Chris (Hubbard) on facebook. Believe it or not he actually settled down and got married some years ago and has kids now. I know he was a jail guard for about 10 yrs but I think he stopped doing that about 4 yrs ago. I think family life slowed down his tying & fishing a bit but he still gets out and fishes with his wife and Son so he's doing good.

Yeah a few of the years at the start I think I remember Will having some actual medals made for the winners. Can't remember all the other prizes but I know we use to give away some other things as well. I think Stockard gave some gift certificates too back when they were a sponsor.

Perhaps my memory is off. But I believe medals were given out the last year the contests were held and Pat Cohen led the field that year.

I still talk to Chris (Hubbard) on facebook. Believe it or not he actually settled down and got married some years ago and has kids now. I know he was a jail guard for about 10 yrs but I think he stopped doing that about 4 yrs ago. I think family life slowed down his tying & fishing a bit but he still gets out and fishes with his wife and Son so he's doing good.

Good to hear, I remember him being a guard and wasnt he doing something crazy like cell extractions? Its funny how everything changes when you become a family man. Its a great change though even if it cuts into the fishing time

Al and Gretchen Beatty- members of this forum, too.

Norm Norlander- if you find a rotary vise that spins better than this, please let me know. Nor-Vise about 40 years old, still state of the art, patents not pending