Fly Tying
Inconnu

Challenge #11

Well here are my supplies. I have some ideas already, but won't be able to tie for about a week as we are getting ready to move (don't worry, i'll have them done in plenty of time). Inconnu, is this just a ploy to get rid of your junk you don't want to throw away? :lol:

IPB Image

Man, I could use some of that shower cap! Is bartering permitted? :lol: (just kidding!)

I'm beginning to see that, with these types of swaps, participants are expected to experience the full range of emotions: curiosity, excitement, hope, dashed hopes, despair, depression, momentary exhilaration, depression. . . . :hyst:

-- Mike

:hyst: Actually I went shopping for pretty much everything I sent everybody. I hit the dollar store and the thrift store for the materials, so there ya go! Only the best for my participants! <_< :) :( :D :angry: :P :blink: :dunno: :help:

That pretty much cover the spectrum of emotions? :hyst:

Well, before I actually get started tying, I thought it prudent to document what I had to work with :hyst: :

IPB Image

Since that is, yes, only 1/2 of a small hand washcloth, I assume someone else must have received the other half. . . .

Well, I tied a couple of patterns and settled on one that I think looks downright cute. :P

However, I surmised it would look really snazzy if I could rib its abdomen, which prompts me to ask a very technical question that requires a ruling from the judges:

The current rule book states, "You may only use these materials, though you select the thread, hook style and you may use head cement. You do not have to use all of the different materials, but you must use what has been given and nothing else."

Thus, my question: Since we are permitted to select and use thread, may we use thread (other than the thread used to tie the fly) as ribbing? Specifically, I was thinking of using flat waxed nylon thread to rib the fly, in addition to the Uni-Thread 8/0 I'm using to actually tie it. Would this be a violation of the rules and, more importantly, would this be widely perceived as a violation of the spirit of this swap?

Is anyone else contemplating using thread as ribbing? I welcome all comments and won't hold any comments against anyone when distributing materials should I ever host one of these in the future. :devil: :hyst: If the proposed practice is indeed frowned upon, that's perfectly ok too, as the fly is just fine without it. Just contemplating an enhancement to its appearance is all. :P

-- Mike

Hey Hairstacker!

I'm in a bit of a quandry over that question. I am not against it, but I don't want to let it get out of hand either. The spirit of the swap is to use what I send and then you choose the thread to hold it together with. If I say yes go ahead I could end up with others wanting to do more than just ribbing and so it goes, on the other hand, if I was tying in the scenerio (and I technically am) I would probably run into the same problem. Unless there is resistance posted before Monday night I would say, ribbing is fine as long as the thread does not make up the body, so no solid wraps, say no more than 3 or 4 wraps for ribbing and it must be in the same colour as the thread for the head, in other words, one spool, one colour for the whole fly. Using a second coloured thread would constitute an additional material, whereas just using the thread you are going to tie with is an extension of what I have set as ground rules. I hope this doesn't confuse you but I believe it is the best I can do with this situation. If someone has an issue with it, please post or PM me. :)

Ok, thanks! I have since thought about it further and have essentially come to the same conclusion along the same lines -- namely, that the use of a second thread (unless part of the package you sent) would, in essence, constitute an added material and thus would violate the spirit of the swap. Thank you for giving it such careful consideration.

-- Mike

Man, i feel spoiled after seeing some of your packages :baby:

I agree that as long as its just the one thread it should be ok. A wounerfull ruling by our most generous and wise arrbitrater/SM. (If there was a brown nose smily i would put it here)

I have 6 tied up. They are pretty ugly, so I think fish will love them more then our normal 'pretty' flies. I only say that cause my flies seem to work better after they're beat up, must make them more buggy? I'll post a pic next week and you guys see what you think.

The nymph's are a rubber band tail and legs with a woven green and tan body and a yellow wing case from my silk flower.

I tied up a buncha Jock Scotts with the materials I recieved, and they are downright beautiful, ha ha ha ha top that fellas!!! :j_k:

I usually don't post pics in case I influence other tyers in challenge swaps, but nobody else had what I had so I'll post one here, called the twist-tie nymph.

First you unravel the spandex:

IPB Image

Then you add the twist-ties:

IPB Image

I mean, what else are ya gonna do with twist-ties for corns sake! :dunno: