Fly Tying
Inconnu

Challenge #11

Hi!! I have the go ahead to do a swap here as my third batch of flies is in the mail and safely on the way to its' destination.

I will probably only host one swap, perhaps two this winter if there is enough interest. I host swaps called Challenge swaps, sort of a fear factor without the guts, stunts and probably a lack of barely there swimsuits, though what you wear when you are tying is your business and should probably stay that way! :D

A Challenge swap is meant to achieve a couple of things, enjoyment and obviously a challenge, but the biggest thing it does, is to cause you to have to think outside the box, in a rather large way at times.I usually have a theme for the swap, or at least a setting, with time and place which is mostly to entertain you but perhaps give you a clue to what you could be tying etc. though not always. So before I confuse myself and thus you good folks, I will set it out for you and if you have an interest in participating, please post your willingness to be driven mad. :help:

I have read through the rules and policies and hope I am operating within the guidelines. Oh yeah another thing; Please ship flies in a crush proof container and if you are not in Canada you can either send an international coupon or $3 U.S. for postage back to you. Sorry, Canada is kind of more money than the U.S. for shipping, I can send postal receipts back with your flies if you wish. Here we go.......

You have been blindfolded and led to a secluded area by a Challenge swap official. When the person leaves you, he/she puts an envelope in your hand and tells you to count to 100 before you take off your blindfold.

You count to 100.....by 5's and pull off the covering from your eyes. In your hand is a plain brown envelope with your name on it. Infront of you is a slow flowing deep stream, reeds and sedges line the far shore, a light breeze ripples the water, the sun shines down through the openings in the trees behind the meadowy shoreline. Your trained eye automatically scans the bank and notices that there are possible undercuts, a small bush here and there overhanging the water and a few insects dapping the surface of the stream.

You also notice, that like something out of the twilight zone there is a table, stool and vise sitting 20' to your left. Suddenly there is a fin, dorsal? Tail? too far away to tell, but there are fish. You also remember you are there for a reason. Opening the envelope without taking your eyes off the water you feel inside and find a paper, with these instructions:

Hello tyer!

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to tie 13 flies of the same style and pattern, from the contents in this package and catch whatever it is that is in the stream infront of you.

You may only use these materials, though you select the thread, hook style and you may use head cement. You do not have to use all of the different materials, but you must use what has been given and nothing else.

Your flies will be judged on Innovative thought, use of the materials sent and how effective they are seen to be by your peers.

You may begin any time.

That's it folks. To get on the mailing list to receive your swap materials, simply post your desire to join and PM me your mailing address. Once the swap is full it will take me a couple of days to get the materials together and mailed out. I know Christmas is coming up but I would like to see the flies in the mail by December 15th. I may be able to get them all back to you before Christmas if they get here earlier. I will send all participants a small momento of the swap....Kerry ;) If this deadline is too tight I'm up for discussion, I just don't want it to get lost in the Christmas rush.

1) Inconnu-In - flies done :)

2) Flyrod98 - PM received - pkg. Recv'd - flies arrived :)

3) flyfishingwright - PM received - pkg. received.-flies arrived :) He got his flies

4) chrisfish - PM received - pkg. Recv'd - flies arrived :) He got his flies

5) flytime - PM received- pkg. Recv'd Flies arrived :) He got his flies

6) Jon G - PM received - pkg received and as yet uneaten. Flies arrived :) Got his flies

7) FasterFish - PM received - pkg.Received his flies

8) flymaker1 - PM received - pkg. Recv'd- Flies arrived :) He received his flies

9) Troutnabout - Pm received - pkg. received. Flies arrived :) He received his flies

10) JTaylor - PM received - pkg. received. Had to drop out :(

11) Hairstacker - PM received - pkg. received. Flies arrived :) Got his flies

12) Ashley - PM received - pkg. Recv'd-flies arrived. :) Got his flies

13) Don Stracener - PM received - pkg. Recv'd - flies arrived :)

14) Fishinfeind- PM received - pkg. received. Flies arrived :) Got his flies :headbang:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds interesting... I may be in for this also. Not completely sure yet though. I'll let yous know if I am.

Mike

Question -- what if you burn through the materials while experimenting before you've completed 12 flies? Are tyers allowed to add more materials as long as they're PRECISELY the same? Or is the limited quantity also part of the challenge?

-- Mike

This actually sounds pretty daggone cool, and extreamly different, Im in, great Idea, and thanks for giving this one a shot, but one thing I cant figure out.....what kinda fish is in that damn water you speak of??? :dunno: :j_k: :hyst:

Hey this sounds cool! Count me in please.

If I get stumpedthere are a great bunch of tyers at the fly fishing club I go to

Hamilton Area Fly Fishers and Tyers.(www.HAFFT.ca). I can pick their brains Can't I?

Regards

Jon Grant

P.S. can you ship the materials to my friend in Buffalo (hopefully they aren't buried under more snow), I need another excuse to stop at the falls for wings and beer. woo hoo!

Welcome aboard everyone so far! I've updated the list on the first post, please make sure you PM me as soon as possible if you haven't already.

Hairstacker, you have to use what you get, space it out accordingly. It won't be easy to find extra anyway, it won't be from any flyshops I've seen. :D Let me know if you want in for sure :)

Chrisfish, everyone will get different stuff and each envelope will tell you what kind of fish are rising out there.

You can pick other peoples brains I suppose, because I won't know, but try doing it yourself if you can.

Be as creative as you want.....believe me you will have to be anyway.

Just a few spaces left, I know it isn't for everyone, but there is room if you dare. :devil:

Is it even flytying stuff were getting, ot things that we gotta turn into materials? Are you gonna send like a comb, glass bottle, a tooth brush and some screws and tell us to tie 12 flies with it!!

this sounds cool, but I don't think that my skills are up to this. I will see how this plays out and if you do it again i'll try :dunno: