Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
arkfisher

Fishpond Coyote Fly Tying Travel Case...

Hey guys,

I'm looking at doing a 10 day float/camp/fish trip on the upper Missouri river in Montana in June and I had a couple of questions. First, has anyone fished this river? What do you know about it? Also, I will definately be taking my vice and a few things along with me. I have been looking for a good travel bag for my stuff. I have a renzetti travel vice. Does anyone out there use the Fishpond Coyote? I looked at it at the local fly shop yesterday and I think it looks great, but it's pretty expensive. Here is a link to it for you to look at.

http://www.fishpondusa.com/coyote.cfm

Thanks,

Richard

Do you think that'll be big enough for everything you want to take with you?

To be honest the few times I've take anything I've used a larger duffel bag. The other tiers that I've met up with have always had larger duffel bags as well. I think I've seen some that even hold a kitchen sink or two.

Seems like a lot of $ for a small case. -just my 2 cents.

I agree with mcfly, I usually take a huge tackel box, and another med sized one on my trips, I think you could find something better at a lower price.

Dustin

Yes it is a nice travel case ,but I would never pay that much for it I use a rubber made cantainer( or one that style ) you can get them 10 bucks or less and ziplock bags

use the money for some other gear you will use on the trip

JMO

have a great trip

FC

I went to Wally's World and picked up an Ozark Trail gym bag. It works great and I paid about $30 for it.

Mike

I just bought the William Joseph Travel Tying Case from SierraTradingPost.com. They have it for $84.95. It retails for $139.00.

I like it a lot. The key is to downsize your materials to the basics.

I can tie 95% of the flies that I use with the items in the travel kit.

I also use a Renzetti Traveler. The vise is the only thing that I have to take out of my home desk for travel. I duplicated everything else. I take it with me every weekend to camp and several other events throughout the year.

The FishPond is very similar, maybe a few more goodies, but not worth the price difference.

Check it out.

Caddisfly

Hi Richard,

Hopefully i can be of help........I have a Cayote tying bag (Got it for Christmas).......

I think its a big investment, though it is something that will last you forever.........Its like anything really, the higher the price, generally the better the quality of the product.

The main feature that makes the bag good, is its very sturdy and has an exceptionally strong structure.........It won't budge to anything.......I'm sure if you started dropping weights on it, it would stand the strain...

The only negative thing i have about it, is that the hook boxes allow small hooks in particular to mix with other compartments, so you have to keep the hooks in packets.

Hope this helps

Its a great bag, and it also looks stunning, and will definitely look good amongst other tiers !!!!!

Chris

Got the fishpond bag and its pretty good, also had the J.W. Outfitters bag. The J.W bag held a lot more and was smaller in overall size, the only problem with it was it had so many pockets and zippers that you forgot where everything was . The fishpond is a little larger in size, not quite sure how I feel about the semi hard case. If it was soft like the J.W. it could below out a little more and not crush the materials. The one thing I do like is everything is visible so its a lot easyer to find things. For traveling and tying up a dozen or so patterns it fine. I still would have been using my J.W. but somethings were starting to fall apart and couldn't get a hold of them for warranty.

Well I see some great points here, but we're all missing the most important. Will it be used often enough to justify the cost. I had bought one from cabelas when I was a truck driver years ago. And to be honest with you, I dont use it much. My suggestion would be to see what materials you need to take, and the room you will need for those supplies. Then get a large zipper cd case. You can fit a huge amount of material in it, and you wont spend alot. Then put it all in a duffel bag, and you've saved about 90$. But if you feel you still want one, look at J stockards, Cabela's, or Bass Pro Shops. Im sure you can pick one up for a lot cheaper, and just as good a quality.

Well guys,

I bit the bullet and went ahead and bought the coyote. The local fly shop had both the coyote and the william joseph bag in stock. The william joseph was no comparison to the coyote and it's a lot bigger than it looks on the web. I've been packing it up tonight and I actually have more room than I need...I love it, and their warranty looks to be really good as well.

Thanks for the input guys!

Richard

I got my hands on one of those yesterday and WOW!

Yeah, it's spendy, but if yer a faller that travels and ties alot that could be infinatley worth it

I'm thinking load the spare vise and have it ready to go at a moments notice.

I'd love to see a few picks of it loaded if you are so equipped

Pauly

I spent last night organizing this thing, and I'll be finishing it tonight. I'll definately post some pics when I get it all lined out.

I can't really comment on the travel case, but I got a FishPond Vest Pack last spring and the quality of their stuff is top notch and worth every extra penny.