Fly Tying
Green Acres

Bending Hooks

Ok, I tied up a bunch of emergers a couple years back that required me to put a 30 or so degree upward bend in the shank, If I get the camera working I'll post a pick of one of the few I have left

I remeber I heated the shanks to keep them from snapping, but the more I think about doing that, dosen't that kill the hardening, just like over heating a drill bit

anyone done this or have any advice

thanks a bunch

Pauly

Basicly what you did is you annealed the hook. When you heat metal and then let it cool slowly that is a process called annealing which is a method of softening the metal. You can try to case harden it by heating and cooling it quickly by dipping it in oil, then heating it and coooling quickly by dipping it in clean water. That will give a bit more hardness to the outer surface of the hook, but still wont harden the center of it. If these are hooks you plan to fish with then I would not heat them at all myself, and try to find a more suitable hook that doesnt need heating or bending.

Steve

Mustad hooks will generally bend without breaking. No need to anneal or re-harden. Getting the proper temper is probably the most difficult aspect of the hook makers art. It's best if you don't mess with it.

You can heat and reharden the hooks but they are extremely brittle and will break very easily. You must temper the steel to make it useable. The article from the Salmon Flyer tells how to do this. I agree that you should find another hook that doesn't require the heating as it really requires a lot of work to retemper the hook and then refinish the hook.

http://www.enersulspareparts.com/SALFLYER/...spring/hook.htm

The only people who should consider this type of abuse is the full dress salmon tyer. ;)

WELL SON OF A.......

thats exactly the hook I'm after

funny, everywhere I've looked that never showed up, even my hook cross reference book

next question, where do I get them

I have looke dthrough stockard and others with no luck, I hope they aren't too much $

I was bending a 200R TMC, actually I think the Dai Ichi equivelant

it's an emerger that rides point up, upside down from the way the picture in your reply is positioned, then you post and parachute on the flat spot up by the eye

they float like a cork and you can see em a mile, give a super natural impression of an emerger just breaking through the surface film

thanks a heap

Pauly

Ok

I just looked back at my bookmarks on this one

I had found them and didn't even know it

the picture on the site had been streched

IPB Image

I thought it was a differnt model

awesome

myth busted

Pauly

IPB Image

this is the pattern

sorry about the picture quality and I tied these at least 4 years ago so my tieing has improved leaps and bounds, but any critique is still welcome, I'm sure some of the habits I had then are still around\

there was an article on these in either fly tyer, american angler, or flyfisherman in 2002-2003 something like that

if anyone happens to remeber it please let me kno thanks

Pauly

oh, I don't even remeber the name of this pattern

Well, MY luck holds true

Just ordered these hooks

got an email back saying TMC has discontinued them

I got 50 12's and 50 10's, NO 14's though

looks like I'm back to bending or does anyone else make a hook like this?

Pauly

Dai ichi D1230 is the same shape as your fly If you want a straight eye try the swimming hook.

You guys stepped up to the palte again

thansk for all the advice

I found a partridge YK6ST that looks like the same hook as well

the guy who I ordered from carries it, So i am going to see if he can substitute these

P.S. no affliation, but the order is foing through WWW.thetroutfitter.com, not the flashiest webpage but it's saturday and the staff has emailed and responded to me multiple times, depending on teh overall outcome, I will certainly order through these guys again

Pauly