Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
camoham

sources for fly tying?

okay gang,

last night went out to the bestest book stores available locally. could not find a fly tyer magazine/journal. hoping to find a book on flyfishing/tying was disheartening.

2 books had just general knowledge. they had a fly tiers 'bible' and beginning fly tying.............but both seemed very basic and redundant. when my wife asked me why i didnt want to get one of them i replied................"i have more patterns and information on the flash drive (dangling in front of her) than what i can get here". i will admit that there was one large hardback book that looked to have flys from all over the world ($50). ill be getting that one later.

anyways, can someone point me to the website of the fly tyer magazine that has some featured articles from some of our forum members? also any other sources (titles) that might be considered a "must have". probably have to order it.

if the weather gets as warm as its supposed to this weekend, the wife and I will be taking down my deer stands and will "test" out the pond. may not catch anything but im dying to get out and try my new rod out.

thanks all.

camoham

I ran across a new mag last month - "Fly Fusion". It's a high gloss product that concentrates on tly fishing / tying technique rather than destinations. No stories about "Fly Fishing Southwest Mongolia Freestone Streams from October 4th Through October 10th". Good approach. But haven't seen one this month - hope they didn't fold already. :(

Soft Hackle is right - Fly Anglers On Line has something for everyone. Lots of great sites out there I also subscribe to Fly Tyer and American Angler.

Cam,

Go to http://www.omn.org/ and download their viewer. You can then download the video's from Fly Tying: The Anglers Art. Each episode has two to three flies and you can pause it if you need to.

It's a really great series and it's free.

Fatman

Google is a wonderful thing, give it a shot. :)

And I see you're from Indiana. That's why there's no fly tying stuff in the book store. I'm oringinally from IN, so I know it's like trying to find books about hockey in a Texas bookstore.

And why are you taking your stands down now; when do you hang them? I usually hung mine in August and let my best ones sit untouched until early November. I'd have a few up that I didn't mind hunting early, just for the sake of getting out there.

Jeff