Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vices

Pre-season Prep..

We all have certain things we do to get ready for the new season, like dressing or replacing lines, stocking an restocking and restocking fly boxes :rolleyes: I usually tear my reals apart and givem a lil overhaul, and start mapping out places i want to go this year..

Just wondering what you guys do to "get ready" for the season... any crazy sort of rituals or baptizing of rods or reals.. :blink: Dont worry about your response, we're all a lil crazy in our own way .. :kicking: :cheers:

I walk the rivers and creeks I fish most to see how they servived the winter.

tye flies(now that i've learned a little).

Don't have to do anything to the rod an real(had to buy new ones ,since mine were stolen last year)

And right now pray for better weather season starts in in 5 weeks here in N.E.Pa. 3 weeks in some southeastern counties.

Just clean and lubricate reels, anc clean the flylines...and hope for free weekends (looks like March 24th might end up being the first trip of the year).

Mark Delaney

I'm with dewey, I like to walk the creeks and see how the spring floods have changed them. I also check all the spots on my route and see if they were washed out or changed over the winter. Plus the usual nerotic cleaning, packing, repacking inventory stuff :hyst:

I scout the fishing areas, double check all my flies to make sure they're ok, lube the lines, and reels, make sure that my vest has everything in it for opening day, and check with local fly shops to see if there's anything else that I may have forgotten.

I bought a new waders and wading boots, columbia henry fork waders and cabelas lightweight boots. The old waders I had finnally gave up the ghost. I bought a new fly reel, a pflueger Trion 1990. I need a new reel for the chasing pike and larger fish this summer. I have been tying like mad. So far I have filled 3 large fly boxes and preparing to fill my reserve boxes.

Something you should do as I found out the other day is check your straps and belts. After winter and not using the waders and pouches, etc. Things just dont seem to fit like they did. I had to loosen off everything. Got laces on your wadding boots check them.

I havent yet but I like to make leaders, sort through all my flies and figure out which one I am going to tie on first. I have started to watch the weather as it usually goes through cycles here with the tide. I also like to walk the close rivers and streams. Another thing I do is start to get up real early.

I also have wet dreams, of huge brown trout, the ones that got away and the ones that I am going to catch.

The main thing I have left to do is a lot of tying. We had a really mild winter, so I spent much of it outside. Now all my boxes are empty :blink: Guess I better get to work on those soon.

I almost always take the last week in May off to go up North and annoy the elusive Brook Trout. Camp in the State Forrest alone, and rarely see anyone for the whole week. So I get ready by making a packing list of the camping gear, food, and fishing gear I'll need.

I always say I'm going to tie up a bag full of flies, but always seem to be doing that at the last minute. Part of the charm, I guess.

I don't do anything to get ready for the season. We have winter in South Central PA, but still fish all winter long or should I say all year long. With many fly-fishing only areas, the season is open all year.

Like the boy scouts, we are always prepared.

Conehead