Fly Tying
Ribs1

Painting hourglass eyes

Hey Guys,

I just got a bunch of brass hourglass eyes for clousers. These are polished black color. I would like to paint them and here is my plan.

1. Put them in a box and spray paint red.

2. After they are dry, roll them around and hopefully the paint side will be heavier and the unpainted side will be exposed, then I spray them again.

3. Put them in a comb and hand paint the pupils

4. Throw them back in the box and spray with some sort of clear finish.

Here's my questions

1. What sort of spray paint would be best?

2. What's the best paint for hand painting the pupils?

3. What should I use for the clear coat?

I will probably end up painting 1000 eyes.

Thanks

Ribs,

You wrote that these eyes are polished. Do you know if paint will adhere to them? If so, ignore the rest of this.

There probably is a paint that will adhere to polished surfaces. If you can't find one, however, the first step may be a brief acid wash take the polish off the surface so the paint will adhere.

Tracy

Here is a little easier way to do it, and all you need is a cardboard, hole punch, and an x-acto blade.

- Cut a 1" to 1.5" wide strip of the cardboard.

- Use the hole punch to punch holes down the middle of the cardboard

- use the blade to cut right down the middle of the holes

- place your eyes in the bottom half of the holes and then place the top half back over them and tape shut

you know have a strip of cardboard with the eyes sticking out on both sides...you can spray paint one side then turn around and spraypaint the other side ;)

Here is a little easier way to do it, and all you need is a cardboard, hole punch, and an x-acto blade.

- Cut a 1" to 1.5" wide strip of the cardboard.

- Use the hole punch to punch holes down the middle of the cardboard

- use the blade to cut right down the middle of the holes

- place your eyes in the bottom half of the holes and then place the top half back over them and tape shut

you know have a strip of cardboard with the eyes sticking out on both sides...you can spray paint one side then turn around and spraypaint the other side ;)

Thanks,

That sounds like the way I will go.

Can someone recommend the best type of spray paint for this job? and the best type of paint for the pupils? Also a clear coat spray paint?

I am pretty sure these eyes will hold the paint. The are not polished to a shiny surface, it's just that they are made of brass but they are black.

Thanks

That is an awesome, but simple way to do it. I have always painted the eyes after they were on the fly and many times I thought that it takes to long to do it. One time I used a red and black sharpie to make the eyes on some hourglass eyes.

Jeremy

I use a black enamel "paint pen" to put the pupils on. quick, easy, no mess.

I like the cardboard idea. I've had great success using a hair comb to hold the eyes, but I haven't used spray paint, or done a thousand at a time...

I just use a comb to hold my eyes. Then paint them with nail polish, usually either light yellow, white, or red. Then take black mail polish and dot the pupils on. Then apply a coat of clear nail polish. I think the comb I have holds about 30 eyes and I can have them all painted, clear coated, dried and ready to tie on in under 30 minutes.

I did this once, skipping the first step of painting the entire hourglass,

just painting the eyeball & pupil. It was such a hassle that I decided

to order holographic stick on eyes - they look good and work great.

Like others have mentioned, I too have been doing the comb thing for years. It has worked fine for my small batches. I don't think I'd really want to do 1000 with my "system." :hyst:

For painting, I use Testor's model enamels for iris and pupils (I don't paint the entire eye). I have used them on plated eyes, both brass and lead, and haven't had any real issues.

For durability, I have always used epoxy as a clear coat. Again, no issues.

I'll have to watch this thread to see what everyone else is using.