Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingtaz

Egg patterns

I was at the trout patk the other day, fishing some of the flies I tied over the winter, and this guy a few yrds down the pond was just rippin em in. When I went over to find out what they were biting on, he told me he was using an egg pattern. He gave me one to use, and sure enough they started hitting. I thought they were only used in fishing for salmon. Anyone know how to tie em, and what colors would be good to use?

I'll try to explain.

vice up a hook, get strong thread....really strong, I use kevlar thread. start it on in the middle of the hook, but don't cover too much hook. The egg will need to cover this thread. Now take "glo bug yarn" "egg yarn" (that's what I call it at least) and double it over and tie it down on top of the hook with a few good tight wraps. really tight wraps. wrap your thread UNDER the material and tie it off on the bare hook in front of what you just tied on. Now, you should have just a loop or 2 of the yarn sitting on top of the hook. Now get the sharpest scissors you have. ok, those won't work, go find sharper and larger ones. nope, those won't work either. go find someone who sews and has large and freaking sharp scissors, take those scissors from them and tell them they will never see them again (my mom hasn't seen her's in almost 10 years). Now, back at the vise, take the yarn that you tied on and pull it straight up in the air, away from the hook. now, about 1/4 inch from where you tied it in cut all the yarn off but that 1/4 inch closest to the hook. push the rest around the hook and it should closely resemble an egg.

you can tie in a little piece of another color on the top of the original loops to create a spot on the egg.

good luck!

One of mine best egg patterns is with eastaz

I tie them on a mustad 3906 just tie in the eastaz and wind it on the hook like you do a bugger body expect I leave space so you can see the tread throught it and tie a wing (very sparse) with white glow bug yarn

you can also use that for a tail if you want

use a bright color tying thread and very your color in the estaz

Hope this helps

FC

You might want to try an egg material called McFly foam. It sort of springs into an egg shape as soon as you cut it.

Do a search on this site for it; there were a couple of very informative threads on egg patterns and how to tie them.

Man this site is like an encyclopedia of fly tying and fishing.

Conehead

Mcfly foam is much easier to use than glo bug yarn. It takes a lot less effort to cut and makes really nice looking round eggs.

:yahoo: Ok here you go. Ray Schmidt Outfitters seels a "glo bug dispenser" for about $ 13.00. Here is the web site www.schmidtoutfitters.com/index.cfm. all is three tubs small medium large. You take you bobbin threader. put it threw the wide end. Ste your fly foam in the threader anc pull it threw the small end. I got one here at the sport show, the darn thing works good every time. I used to tie eggs and they would come out scrambled every time. No kidding this dispencer really works. :yahoo: :yahoo:

The dispensers are great but if you go to home depot and buy the caulk gun screw heads. Then cut to size. I have 15 to 20 loaded you can get 50 for 13 dollars. I can tie 60+ glo bugs with mcfly foam an hour. Yarn I can tie 20 to 30 and have one heck of a mess to boot! Look at the eggs on my site. Or check out the step by step I did for the site. look for the pom pom fly.