Fly Tying
sniksoh

i really want to try this...

i have a regular old kitchen blender and i want to make my own dubbing...but i have no clue what to do...

can anyone help me, please?

thanks,

sniksoh

Hey Snik!! Unless you are making a LOT of dubbing,I don't think a full sized kitchen blender will be of any service to you. The "wind" from the blades will just blow the fur up the sides of the carafe. This is why most people recommend using an electric coffee grinder....smaller blending chamber=more contact between material and blades. One can be had from nearly any retail store for about $20.00.

Hope this helps!!! Sulphernut

After you plug it in, place the materials that you wish to blend, add enough water so that there is plenty of room to "slosh around". Some would add a drop of liquid detergent, to act as a wetting agent. Blend for 15-30 seconds or so. If you used no detergent, let the mass air dry and there you go. If you used detergent, naturally you will need rinse thoroughly then dry. Hope this is useful.

All the Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

Just curious, as I've never done any blending. If you use a coffee grinder to blend dubbing, what is the minimum amount of material you can blend?

dont remember where I seen this tip, or even if it will work, but you take a jar and put all the fur in it that you want to turn into dubbing. put some water in it, and wait till all the hair is saturated at the bottom of the jar. Then take some cheese cloth, or some kind of cloth that the water will flow though, and drain all the water from the jar. That should give you some great dubbing, and the hairs in there will add a really wirey look also.

I am currently working on making a lifetime supply of dry fly dubbing. I'm following the instructions in AK Best's book "Dying and Bleaching fly tying materials". I spent the entire day today cutting up rabbit skins and removing the guard hairs from the fur. Tomorrow I will begin the dying and blending process.

I highly recommend the book. Lots of instruction for blending rabbit fur.

I've used the soap and water mixing method a number of times and it gives really nice results. Just mix the cut fur and add it to a small container with a water proof lid. Fill the conainer about half way with warm water and add a single drop of liquid soap. Put the lid on and shake the ever-luvin' out of it. Once is is all mixed well, remove the lid and slowly pour it into a small (fine) wire mesh strainer. Rince the mixture with clean water until the soap is all removed and then lay the lump of fur on some paper towels to dry. Very simple method, but it works like a charm (and it's cheap too :) ).

1) I like the water and soap method of blending dubbing (first written of by Polly Rosborough in ‘Tying & Fishing the Fuzzy Nymphs’, 1965). The result is a nice felt of dubbing that does not get all over the place when you work with it.

2) As for using the coffee grinder - remember that the device BLENDS the dubbing, but does not chop it much. Particularly it does NOT CHOP SYNTHETICS very well. So cut them with scissors as you put the materials into the grinder - otherwise the synthetics especially with wrap around the blades and just become a tangled rope. At most, you only need to put in a total amount of fur (material) that would cover the palm of your hand.

Hi,

I would do one of two things:

Cut some rabbit fur (or any kind of fur) close to the hide and put it in the blender. Some wet it first, but I don't. I use a coffee grinder. Not sure what a "kitchen blender" would do, but probably the same thing.

Or, cut some of your favorite yarn in pieces about 1/2 inch long. Put the pieces in the blender and run it a short time. Check to see if it fluffs out good for you. If not, try a few more bursts.

Hope it works for you