Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Big Will

where to buy big bucktails

I just took a small order from a tackle shop for 1000 bucktail teasers for flounder rigs but I am having trouble finding bucktails that are big enough for what I need in the colers that I need them in.

it's always hit-or-miss when getting materials online or mailorder. I've bought "Extra-Large Prime Northern Whitetail Bucktails" from several places, and the size and quality always varies, even from the same supplier in the same order. Sometimes a lot of the hair is 4, 4-1/2 inches and straight, sometimes it's 3 inches max and kinky. If you can find someone at the company to actually talk to about what you need, that might help. Possibly JStockard, Feathercraft in St. Louis or Whitetail Fly Tieing (Chris Helm) in Ohio. all are on the internet.

What does a "bucktail Teaser" look like ?

If you're using them for Flounders , what size ,model hook are you using? we have alot of flounder fishing around here and you might have something that would be fun for kids to try.

www.barlowstackle.com Ive had great luck with them so much that I pay more from them in stead of buying form hairline wholesale!!

I would sugest using Chris Helm at www.whitetailflytieing.com. His number is (800) 579-5549. Great guy to work with. A budy of mine at work is in a fishing club with him. I am sure that he can help you with what you need.

Randy

You're right, - if you're looking for bucktails exclusively its hit or miss. I've done some orders for larger bucktail flies in Prince Rupert, BC and Alaska that wanted them minimum 6"-7" long. For those flies I substituted yak hair for the bucktail and then rubbed it with a little Brylcreem to give it some shine and durability.