Fly Tying
dsaavedra

BLUEGILL HELP NEEDED BAD!!!!!!!

well we put another 34 BIG bluegill in there, so that either brings it up to 80 sumthin fish or 100 sumthin fish. im not sure. but the ones we put in today are average 7"-8".

no i havent been down there w/ a flyrod lately. i caught one w/ bread today. but it seems restocking the fish did the trick cuz they are at least biting now.

o and we put in 82 blacknose dace in there today also.....i put a minnow trap in my creek yesterday w/ some crab dip and crackers and pulled in a full pot this morning. slapped em in a coffee can and drove em down to the pond. it was hilarious because the minnows were oxygen deprived (82 in one can gets a lil crowded) so they were puddlin around at the waters sufrace (where oxygen levels are the highest...all fish seem to do this...the gills did it when we first put em in). then all the gills came over to check out what was goin on and they started chasin the minnows around...not predatory or anything, they werent really sure what to do w/ the new company!!! :hyst:

Cool idea on the minnows!

I love this experiment. Please keep us posted.

I hope to buy some land next year and hope like Hell to get one with either a trout stream or a pond on it.

The bluegill will eat the minnows. But that is good. I think we talked about that before. Get some pellet fish food and a lot more minnows.

I've been having luck with june bug type flies. They are pretty much brown short wollybuggers without tails and are tied on #10 hook to the bend of the hook.

The second fly they are tearing up right now is an orange bodied "grub" made with thread very lightly dubbed on the rear with brown/green mixed dub and on the eye end dubbed brown/green about 1/8" to 1/4". The orange thread needs to be wrapped tapered with the thorax end at least 1/8 thick.

The junebug flies need to be pretty big or thick for the hook size to the point they are almost round balls of feathers on a hook.

I've had some luck with orange bodies and white thorax/half wings on the side too.

I've been out fishing the live bait fokes with those three flies the last two weeks.

yeah i plan on putting more minnow in there. i made a minnow net today from a coathanger, a broom handle, some zip ties, and a mesh material (got it from the packaging of those ice pop things) i just opend up the coathanger and formed a ring and then stapeled the mesh around it and straightened out the hook part and the opposite end adn then zip tied it to the handle. looks like crap but will work well for when i dont feel like waiting for them to go in the trap...i can just sit this on the creek bottom, put some crumbs on top, when the minows check it out, skoop them up.

o and some of the dace are big like about 3inches....is this too big for the bluegill to eat? most of them are in the 1.5-2" range, with only a few 1" or less.

A pond with 40 bluegills in it? That's not a pond brother, that's an aquarium!! :hyst:

It sounds though like they are concentrating under water for whatever they are eating naturally. I would suggest a small wet fly, say a size #14. I use a fly iv'e been tying for years for bluegill. Here is the recipe..

Hook: 3906-B #10 to #14

Thread: black 6/0

Tag, fine flat silver tinsel

Body, hares ear mask, thick and buggy. Cut the longer guard hairs from between the eyes to dub around the thorax and stroke the fibers rearward as in a collar.

Wing: black and white wood duck flank fibers tied in a semi circle around the top of the fly as long as hook bend.

What I mean is strip off about an inch of fibers including the black/white part between your fingers. While holding them in between the fingers of your right hand sort of hit the ends with the palm of your left hand to seprate the fibers into strands but hold them tight so they remain even. Then roll them around the hook with the black/white tips pointing rearward over the hook bend and shank at roughly almost a 45 degree angle.

Pull the fly in short strips, with the under guard of rabbit guard hairs holding up the base of the wing of woodduck as the fly is pulled through the water the wood duck and rabbit fibers pulse and breath closing and opening with each pull. I've never failed catching anything from bluegill, crappy, smaller bass, and trout with it.

Ummm... or you could go see the Wonderman and forget all the above non sense :rolleyes:

you cant imagin how badly i want bass in there because i KNOW that that will greatly improve the fishign quality but my friend doesnt want bass in it because hes dumb and gets a kick out of catching fish after fish that are only 7" long. to me it becomes a chore, not a sport. its so boring down there. i think w/ some bass it would be more fun. and another thing, i have seen everysingle fish in that pond already, so the element of suprise is blown away. the only is that w/o him there is no way to transport fish down there. he has the fourwheeler and w/o that it would be a mile and a half walk thru steep hills carrying several bass and water...i dont think so. maybe ill talk him into it somehow.

and ratface, thers not 40..thers like 100 somethin! :o

good luck with that, just tell him it will improve the fishng.or just catch some bass and put the bucket on a snowsled and tow it.if u do get some in there use a scumfrog for the bass. they love it like it was candy.

o and some of the dace are big like about 3inches....is this too big for the bluegill to eat? most of them are in the 1.5-2" range, with only a few 1" or less.

not for a 8 in gill

good luck with that, just tell him it will improve the fishng.or just catch some bass and put the bucket on a snowsled and tow it.if u do get some in there use a scumfrog for the bass. they love it like it was candy.

unfortanutly its not a fly, so u got a warm up your spinning reel and your bass pole, i havent yet discoverd a bass fly that goes through crap like the scumfrog.if i find a fly like that ill let ya no