Fly Tying
breambuster

A Knotty Question

What is your favorite knot for tying the fly to the tippet AND WHY? Is it your favorite because it's easy to tie, or because it effects the action of the fly in the water, or for some other reason?

Thanks.

The Duncan Loop is the only knot I use. I like it because the loop gives the fly more action. It also acts like a mini shock absorber.

I use an improved clinch knot. Was told it was the best way to tie a fly to a tipped and haven't used anything else since. dunno.gif

I prefer a palomar knot....super strong (retains 90 to 95% of line strength) and is easy to tie, especially with half frozen hands! I use it almost exclusively....with bigger, bushier flies, it can be a bit awkward if you don't tie it regularly, but I have mastered the ol' palomar!

For most of my warmwater flyfishing I use a non-slip mono loop. It lets the fly move very freely and doesn't dampen any of its inherent action.

I like to stick with a plain old clinch knot, not improved, for trout and salmon fishing. If its seated correctly and and there is some tag left sticking out, you won't have any pigtails, even with small diameter tippet.

I use the non slip mono loop for streamers & warmwater fishing and the little bit of saltwater fishing I get to enjoy.

Chip

Pitzen here. It's it's a quick, compact and super-strong knot that tells you when it's tied correctly.

The biggest problem with it is that it seems much stronger than the other knots in the system. When I have to break the fly off in a snag I usually lose the whole tippet and not just the fly. True story.

I just use mono leaders. Too many problems with breakage on Flourocarbon, that being said I just use the plain old clinch knot on everything, the only knot problems I've had have been self induced. dry.gif

I do want to learn the mono loop for streamers though.

Duncan loop for nymphs and streamers because the fly has a more natural action in the water and is fairly strong . Dries and jigs the good ol improved clinch. when tied right it to is a good strong knot and is fairly easy to tie.

Tube

I always used the improved clinch (spelling) but I have been usin mono leaders and its breakin when I use improve clinch so I might try palomar.-Tim