Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mtbbrian

Four Patterns To Start With

Hi my name's Brian, and I am a new fly fisherman and tyer.

(Insert a HI BRIAN! ) :D

I have been asking around varaious parts, what would be four patterns I could begin tying with.

I am in Utah and fish rivers and streams for trout.

Thanks!

Brian

:cheers:

My opinion the four most common to start with for a begginer-

1-Wooly Bugger

2-Elk Hair Caddis

3-Hares ear nymph

4-Phesant tail nymph

And welcome Brian

Steve

Hi Brian,

The four patterns already listed will give you a good start, all are usefull in the Provo, and Green, and well as the smaller Uinta streams. Start with the wooly buggers in black olive and brown. You can get away with a brown hackle on all three, although the black is more often tied with a grizzly hackle. You should be able to find tutorials on this site for most of the basics. There are good video demos on Hatches TV (linked to from this site.) I to am from Utah, as far as I can get at present.

Learn the basics of tying with these four patterns, and your ready to branch out into Prince nymphs stone fly nymphs, and finally dry flies. But don't try to move too fast. Post pictures of your first efforts here, and you will get helpful constructive advice on what your doing right and where you need to make corrections. You will find a lot of helpful folks here, as well as good resources for patterns and instructions. If you need specific advice about Utah flies, and Utah waters, pm me, and I will answer your questions. I have fished all over northern Utah since 1955.

Welcome Brian, it is aways hard picking those first few flies to start out with. Four of my favorites are,

1- Wooly Bugger

2 - Crackle Back

3 - Red fox Squirrel Nymph

4 - Clouser Deep minnow

Color is important in the flies you fish but not just for tying. You can add bead and cone heads to some of these to broaden their usefulness. And don't forget to tie in multiple sizes. You not only need them but it will help you learn how to proportion your materials in the flies you tie. You can find most of these on UTube to help out.

Hope to see some of your flies here soon.

Be Well,

Olórin

Interesting how quickly this thread breaks down into two basic approaches. The first is a list of classic flies that will teach you important techniques that will help you build your tying skills. The second is a list of simple flies (with some overlap over course) which emphasizes flies to fish rather than technique. I personally tend to lean more toward the first approach when teaching tying, so steeldrifter's list looks like the best approach to me although I'd play with the order a bit:

1 - Woolly Bugger (teaches material handling, palmering hackle, sizing materials, ribbing)

2 - Gold ribbed hare's ear nymph (teaches dubbing technique, ribbing if previously skipped)

3 - Partridge and Orange (soft hackle techniques, floss body)

4 - Elk Hair Caddis (reinforce dubbing technique, ribbing, palmering, stacking hair, proportions)

The third fly in this sequence is always the toughest for me to choose because there are so many techniques one could emphasize. I'm not saying the "flies to fish" method is wrong of course. I'm just saying that's not how I think it is best to approach the process. YMMV.

I agree with tying the woolly bugger, EHC and hare's ear. They are definitely the first three you should tie, being the "standard" nymph, dry, and streamer in my opinion. The last one could be a choice of a few, i would say maybe even customize it to the most popular pattern on your local waters (provided it is fairly easy to tie).

Good luck and be sure to post your ties!

One of the first flies that I learned is the green weenie and I think after this season of giving it a try it has grown to be my favorite.

From a dry fly purist's point of view, I would recommend the following:

1 - Adams #14

2 - Blue Winged Olive #18

3 - Elk Hair Caddis #16

4 - Black Beetle #14

If you HAVE to fish bait then ad a Muddler Minnow #8 and a Wooly Bugger #10 :D

Brian , welcome to the addicting sport of tying .

I myself in Utah , was pointed to some of the local favorites, when I started tying a couple years ago.

These are the ones I started with:

1. RENAGADE (butt hackle = brown hackle , body= peacock herl , front hackle = white hackle)

2. RIO GRANDE (tail=tippet , body= blk chennele, wing = calf tip, brown hackle)

3. PHEASENT TAIL -beaded & non beaded

4. WOOLY BUGGERS - Blk, BRN, GRN

5. ELK HAIR CADDIS - Tan ,Olive

Hope that helps B) Steve

If you HAVE to fish bait then ad a Muddler Minnow #8 and a Wooly Bugger #10 :D

Bait? What's that?

:lol:

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Brian