Fly Tying
SDHflyfisher

essential trout flies

what do you guys always have in your boxes when you hit the trout streams

for me it is a good selectiong of sulphurs adams and some caddis dries and a light cahill or two

if you haven't noticed i love to fish dries

Depends on the tiem of year but must haves: assorted "Usuals", Haystacks, wulffs, and nymphs.

The Don

The Usual:

94840 Mustad Hook (14,16,18,20,22)

6/0 to 8/0 Grey thread

Tail: Small bunch of hair from rabbits pad

Wing: Larger bunch of fur from rabbits pad

body: Underfur from rabbits foot (blend of tan with very fine guard hairs and grey next to the skin of the rabbit.

I use a size 14,16,18 with olive dubbing during blue winged olive hatches. See my post on dubbing color????????????

Tie just like a haystack but don't splay the collar to 180 degrees, just 45 degrees. It sits lower and simulates a lot of different patterns and stages.

In the old days, they would use the fur from in between the toes of the female hare only (must be a British thing). I think a rabbit pad will do just as well and woodchuck can be sustituted - the golden fine fur next to the skin and fine grey under the guard hair. Synthetics suck for this pattern.

It's easy to tie, looks like crap cause the crinkly hair of the hare, so you can't do it wrong.

If it does sink, which it will eventually, give it a tug and it will come back up like an emerger.

I tied some today like a spun dunn technique where instead of holding the collar on top while tying in I just let it go and spun it all the way around. I then just clipped off the bottom and sides to get the 45 degree shape. It was cake and fun but don't know if that added too much weight to it or if it matters. I ll test it in the pond on Friday. No fish in it but good casting room.

If I can figure out how to post a picture I will Friday.

Ted

Got to have Adams in different sizes, regular and parachute style, pheasant tail nymphs, Hendricksons and assorted wets.

Fatman

Adams 12 - 18

Tan/olive/black Elk Hair Caddis 14 - 18

Bead head & normal hares ear 12 - 18

Bead head & normal prince nymph 12- 16

Phesant tail flashback 12 - 18

Blue wing olive 14 -18

Light cahill 12 - 18

Olive/black/cream wooly bugger 2 -8

San juan worm - hot pink 14

Caddis pupa 14

Brown Wulff 12 - 14

Hairwing streamer or two.

Thats my box pretty much.

If I had a choice only to carry a few flies I'd pick Adams, Olive Elk Hair Caddis, prince, hares ear, and pehsant tail.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as most the others. I wouldn't be caught without Adams (parachute and regular) in a few sizes. Got to have PTNs and GRHE.

Jim

The main flies I use are gold ribbed hairs ear( 2 diiferent versions one copper and the other gold) a pheasnt tail and a green scud. These will catch pretty much anything around here. I have even caught a few small mouth bass with them!

Mike

banana.gif

I usually carry Adams in 12-16, Humpy in 12-18, Royal Wulff 10-18, Elk hiar Caddis in 12-16, Blu winged olives in 14-22, henricksons in 12-18, light cahill 12-18, stone fly nymphs, hairs ears, caddis beadhead and normal, phesant tails, and wolly buggers.

PMD, parachute adams, caddis, muddler, varying patterns of wooly buggers (maroon seems best), bead head hare's, grey wolf, and a variety of green/grey simple patterns with light wings. Most of the spring creeks around here require 20-24 sized flys, but you can do 16 and 18 on the rivers.

KD