Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Al Beatty

Hatches Gives Me The Willies!!

Hi group,

Will recently sent me an electronic copy of the latest Hatches and one of the stories was a You Tube movie about fishing on rattlesnake creek. Darn! The pics of the fish and the snakes gave me the Willies. I used to guide on a place called Rattlesnake Creek (16 Mile Creek) in south central Montana and the place in the movie looked just like it. AND yes! There were a LOTS of snakes. One of my jobs as guide was to keep the customers from stepping on them. That was a tough job because the brown trout kept everyone distracted. Anyway, everyone. You need to take a look at the most recent Hatches magazine on line. It is well worth your time.

Good Job, Will! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

aye, it looks good!

Personally, I happen to think rattlesnakes are some of the most beautiful, fascinating, interesting creatures there are. I've done more than a bit of work with 7 or 8 different species.

In contrast, down here in the south, the Water Mocassins are sneaky, conniving, untrustworthy derelicts who always appear as if they are up-to-no-good. I like all snakes, but cottonmouths rank very low...

I don't mind spiders, and most other critters, BUT I really don't like snakes. A few times I've sat down on a log in a stream to change flies and found myself beside a snake working on its tan. I found I can walk on water!

Spiders and Snakes, No Thanks! I won't even look at a snake at the ZOO. Spiders, Holy Lord! I beat the crap out of some black hackel trimings on the floor of my tying room the other day. Looked buggy enough to me.

I'm a wimp.

Is the Hatches online by subscription or public?

This fella swam across the river to say hi within about 8 feet of where I was fishing this Fall. :bugeyes:

post-13329-1205421538_thumb.jpg

Sculpins don't like snakes either. My 8 year old found this. Spooked him a bit. He thought is was a two-headed something.

post-13329-1205421600_thumb.jpg

aye, it looks good!

Personally, I happen to think rattlesnakes are some of the most beautiful, fascinating, interesting creatures there are. I've done more than a bit of work with 7 or 8 different species.

In contrast, down here in the south, the Water Mocassins are sneaky, conniving, untrustworthy derelicts who always appear as if they are up-to-no-good. I like all snakes, but cottonmouths rank very low...

The grass snake's always greener...

I admit, I'm the same way, 'cept I much prefer the cottonmouth. Best thing about the cottonmouth is they don't live 'round here!

I love snakes, which is a plus as an environmental consultant who does a fair amount of work out in the woods.

From AZ...

IPB Image

and closer to home in the Big Cypress NP...

IPB Image

The meanest snake I have ever encountered is the Southern Water Snake - very quick to bite, but non-venomous. They seem to have a nastier temperment than even the Cottonmouth.

JJD, I love that first pic of the tail end.

I just ordered a subscription to Hatches ... so I'm good to go now.

Last spring a cottonmouth decided he was going to board my float tube. He was crossing the pond, saw me, and came over to see what was what. As I said, I like snakes, but when he came right up to my tube and started coming aboard without even asking permission, I was irritated. It must have been quite a sight... It is rather difficult to poke at a snake in the water with a fly rod. Finally he had enough and took off for the weeds.

I agree JJD- watersnakes are usually in a very bad mood.

The vast majority of rattlesnakes I have seen (many hundreds) are usually calm and want to either sit motionless or go away. Of course they get pissed off when someone starts throwing rocks at them and hitting them with a stick, which is usually what happens. I've seen many rattlers of different species which didn't even get agitated when I picked them up and moved them off the road. (using snake tongs or a hook, never hand-holding them- that's just a bit stupid in most cases.)

Cottonmouths seem to be somewhere in between.

EVERYONE SHOULD REMEMBER- now that spring is almost here- THE VAST MAJORITY OF BITES HAPPEN TO PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO KILL OR MESS WITH SNAKES.

JJD- here is a pic of a REAL rattle, on a Blacktailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus molossus) in the Patagonia area of Arizona from a couple years ago: post-10077-1205609681_thumb.jpg

(btw, the business end of the snake was being controlled by a trusted friend, and Blacktails are usually very calm and well mannered, like this one was.)