Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
snboggs

Shipping Containers for Flies

For the commercial tyers and swappers on the forum,

What do you guys use to ship your flies? I've never shipped flies or ordered them through the mail, but I was curious what you ship them in. Altoids tins seem like a good choice to me, but they are rather large and that seems like a bit of wasted space for small flies. I ask, because I've tied up some flies to mail to my dad to give a try. Please post pictures of the containers and perhaps where I could get my hands on some. Thanks for any suggestitons you guys can offer.

snboggs

I've done quite a few swaps, and almost always use Altoids tins. They fit nicely in those small manilla envelopes for mailing.

But I have also used some little plastic boxes that computer back-up tapes come in. I got a bunch when my company upgraded to a newer back-up system.

I have started using small clear Plano storage boxes.you can get them at most big tackle stores and wally world for a couple of bucks.In swaps you sometimes get back bigger flies than you sent and you need the extra room.If I ship a delicate fly I fit the box with adheasive backed craft foam and bury the hook in it so it wont move inside the box.

I have used lots of things, I like old vcr tape boxes for larger flies. For smaller I will use what ever I can get my hands on. Most times the boxes the flies go in will be put in a padded envelope that I get at the post office. If I was tying flies for my father, as you are. I would get an inexpensive fly box. Placing or glueing a peice of craft foam inside any small tin like an altoids container will hold the flies in place. There is lots of info about shipping flies on the forum that may give you some ideas.

35mm film cannisters...not that they're used much now. But if I see them, i pick them up exactly for this. I used a piece of foam to hook the flies onto and insert that in. Has worked well for me.

Go to your local fly shop. In all probability, instead of supporting American tyers, they sell those imported flies from Sri Lanka, Thailand etc etc. They always have a pile of the boxes from these imports leftover after they empty their order into their display case. That's what I use.

Lord forgive me. <_<

Check with your eye Dr. to see if you can get some of the cardboard boxes that glasses come from the lab in.

There are different sizes so you can mail in them

Crappie

My photo department of my local wal mart happily gave me all their film canisters, upwards of 100!

i use a small utility box i found at my local big box craft store for smaller flies

IPB Image

and a vcr tape box for larger flies and swaps

stay away from film canisters for swaps. you gotta stuff your flies with toes tags on em and the swapmeister will have to do the same.

What do you guys think of this? Pretty good price I think.

http://store.theflyshop.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=1976

if your just gonna mail flies out its OK, but for fly swaps you really need to consider something thats open on the inside and does not have compartments. its not goona be easy getting a bass fly in one of the compartments.

the box i posted above was only $1.29

however its you choice

flytire,

can you point me in the direction of where I can get my hands on a box like you show? can they be found at any craft store?