Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred H.

do you buy flies?

how many of you buy flies? Since I have been tying and fishing my own flies I find I am reluctant to buy flies out of a catalog or fly shop. If it is a new pattern and I can't disect it in my mind I might buy one so I can reverse engineer it. what about you?

I'll buy a handful here or there. Most of the time it's when I got to fish new waters on short notice and don't have time to tie up some of the locally specific type stuff. I've had to do that 3 or 4 times when I've made unplanned trips to central PA. The others have been when I saw something I liked and wanted a pattern to take home with me.

Hi. My name is Mike, and I am a fly junkie.

Doesn't matter how many hundred dozens I tie in a year, I still do buy some that catch my eye as innovative or really fishy when I travel to different shops.

My Self I don't Buy Flies!! But I have a store that I sell Flies to.

I have note st that a lot of the Tiers that come in Buy the ones that they cant Ty themselves or don't have the material to Ty that Fly.

I don't know if that helps but that is my two cents.

tyrite (Glen dayton)

I brought two flies when I first started fly fishing back in 1965. It was about that time that I was introduced to tying by the late and great John Veniard, since then I have tied for myself, various customers and friends and a few stores when I got the time.

I will occasionally tie a realistic and frame it when asked.

Tight threads all

Mike ........................ B)

It depends. I tie such a volume of my own, I'm pretty much set. Second, what I tie is highly niched and specialiized. I'm not a trout fisherman, and haven't tied/cast/used a dry fly, or nymph in over ten years.

If I'm in a fly shop, and I know, or they annotate that the flies are tied locally, I'll buy a couple purely for the sake of supporting a tyer, as it takes flies being sold to make a living for that guy. If there's an Umpqha sign there, then they're likely tied in Africa or overseas. Doesn't make them bad, but I don't need to support Umpqua, and I choose to support the professional tyer who's making a living directly from selling to the shop.

Jeff

I think the last time I bought flies was about ten or so years ago (to reverse engineer). These days I decorate the trees and bushes with my own creations....

Mark Delaney

I buy a few here and there also. Mostly it's a pattern that I don't have and didn't have time to tie before a short notice trip. I also try to buy a few different goodies to kick in a little cash to support the local shop. It's not alot of money but these days with so many shops going belly up, any little bit can't hurt.

Mike

ive been tying for over 27 years and you would think i could tie a dry fly with ease. nope. those are the flies i buy. hate tying dries!!

when i'm fishing a new destination and if theres a fly shop around, you gotta stop in and get the "hot" fly of the day.

Last evening I stopped in and bought a buddy new to fly fishing a fly box and some flies to go with the new fly rod and net our little group of troutbums bought him for his b-day. I now remember why I ty.... :blink: I bought about 18 flys for him and then decided to add a few I had tied.........It's kinda crazy what you pay for a fly nowadays..lol........of course I do also ocassionally buy a fly to reverse engineer, but with the internet, that is becoming less and less. Tying is expensive at times, but considering the sheer mass quanities of flies you can ty with one batch of materials........well u get the idea :D

how many of you buy flies? Since I have been tying and fishing my own flies I find I am reluctant to buy flies out of a catalog or fly shop. If it is a new pattern and I can't disect it in my mind I might buy one so I can reverse engineer it. what about you?

that's exactly what I do, to figure out how to tye it (stealing my ideas <_< ) :j_k:

I have yet to buy a fly, I started tying right when I got my first fly rod, and boy did my first flies look terrible. However, I primarily fish for trout/salmon/steelhead, so any fly I need I can tie. If I was fishing for bass, I may reconsider the purchase of flies, I am pretty lousy with deer hair, and it seems a lot of warmwater flies use spun and stacked deer hair.

So far, i haven't gone over $400 for a single framed fly. :D It's AWFUL tempting though...........because i still haven't got a Paul Pitalis, a Paul Rossman, or quite a few others i want. :( With right at bout 10K invested in my Salmon fly collection........i'm beginning to wonder how many more i can afford. But every day there's more and more really good Salmon fly tyers commin' up. :P What's a fella to do? B) mark..... ;)

I will buy when I go to a new area and need some info from the local shop. To me there's no better way to find out what they are hitting on than to ask and buy it. Even if I have it I still buy a few. To me it shows good faith and brings a little money to the local guy.

Jeremy