Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
backcast

Searching pattern for trout

I found myself on Oil creek in PA yesterday with not hatches taking place. What fly do you go to under these conditions?

Here in MI my search patterns are simply Adams or elk hair caddis for drys and hares ear/PTN for nymphs.

Unless theres been a hatch in the area recently then it will be based on that.

SD

Thanks for the info. My main focus was in nymphs but for a dry I like your sellection. Sorry guys but I love to nymph fish, since my greatest success has been working with nymphs.

I'm more of a dry fly fisherman. I'd start with either a CDC and Elk or a midge pattern. Subsurface, a beadhead PT soft hackle.

On western Pa waters for dries I like a small caddis or a small #16-18 rusty spinner. If I need to go wet my start points are #16 bh pheasant tail #12 stone flies or a BH brown bugger in brass or gold. I gotta admit though compared to ANYWHERE else I've fished, on average western PA waters have been FAR less than kind to me on fishing dries when no hatch is going. I've spent a lot of time beating my head on the rocks trying to get those fish to the top! wallbash.gif

Royal Wolf or a Humpy would be my chose for drys.

Hare's ear or prince for nymphs.

OSD.

last weekend i caught a few on a #16 yellow stimulator pattern on fairly hard fished waters. i didnt see any fish rising all day, but i caught two brookies 8-10" and a rainbow in the 14" range. the black stimulators i had didnt do anything though. who knows, maybe a more western pattern too. i've never fished where you are, or even close. smile.gif

All most all of the Western Pa creeks have a popluation of caddis. Oil creek is no exception. I would have problay started with a Gary Lafataine Sparkling caddis pupa. Then moved to other caddis patterns.

I start with a Prince Nymph and if needed change to a Hares ear both 12. May sound strange but if I've didn't have luck with those, following with a dry White Wolf has been sucessful for me. Lately, Olive WB are good.