Fly Tying
CoachBob

One Best Tip

Buy from a local store if you have one.

Here, Here Steve, My best friend in the world, Trapper Rudd, owns Cutthroat anglers in Silverthorne, Colorado, the best darn fly shop in the world. I know we all look to craft stores and big box to save some cash, but make sure to shop local and take a guided trip sometime. The guides work more hours you can imagine doing something they love, and remember your day is a chance to really learn something. Ask questions. Like anything, do your homework and select someone with a reputation, and tell them what you want to do. If it is chase big fish, be ready to not catch fish since you are targeting a trophy. If it is learn to cast, let them know. 90% of all the guides I have met, fished with, or just befriended, are really decent hard working very knowledgeable folks. Also big retailers do not give you the same service as local shops. Take a 6 pack in on Friday night sometime to your local shop and just ask questions. You will learn more about your local fishing and fishing in general with that than years of learning on your own. Also when traveling stop into any shops you can, even just to ask whats up, but realize these guys answer that question 500 times a day, and info is not free, but a bought round of coffees, or a few beers will surely increase your information, and make a few friends. I also love to target a new stream, maybe fish it a day or two, and tie up a couple dozen bugs, that may have worked for me. but then I will hand out a few at the local shop to the shop rats, and boy can you learn something then. Even if you have no access to a local shop, when using JStockard, Feather-craft or others, get to know who you talk to by name, these specialty on line stores are very happy to help with what you need, even if the call is I want to tie grey ghosts and know nothing else about it, they are glad to help. Also, if something is wrong, I personally would much rather deal with my local shop than any big retailer. I have broken the tip off a couple Sage rods, and the local shops I got them from were amazing with taking care of shipping and helping to get it back quickly.

I guess I am saying you will pay a bit more, but the value of what you get is a far better deal.

Cheers, Futzer.

Also big retailers do not give you the same service as local shops. Take a 6 pack in on Friday night sometime to your local shop and just ask questions. You will learn more about your local fishing and fishing in general with that than years of learning on your own. Also when traveling stop into any shops you can, even just to ask whats up, but realize these guys answer that question 500 times a day, and info is not free, but a bought round of coffees, or a few beers will surely increase your information, and make a few friends.

I guess I am saying you will pay a bit more, but the value of what you get is a far better deal.

Cheers, Futzer.

Absolutely. Even though I just started fly fishing and tying, my local shop has been great. I browsed their website before I went there, and went in on a Thursday night, when the owner hosts a kind of "get together". You bring your vice, bobbin, scissors, and thread, he supplies everything else. He shows everyone how to tie a new fly every week.

One of the guys brought in a 12 pack and was passing them around, even to the new guy. :)

Went in again on Saturday morning, just to say thanks for being so helpful, and he sat down for an hour and showed me some basic flies. Great service, very friendly, definitely worth the 35 minute drive.

Also big retailers do not give you the same service as local shops. Take a 6 pack in on Friday night sometime to your local shop and just ask questions. You will learn more about your local fishing and fishing in general with that than years of learning on your own. Also when traveling stop into any shops you can, even just to ask whats up, but realize these guys answer that question 500 times a day, and info is not free, but a bought round of coffees, or a few beers will surely increase your information, and make a few friends.

Cheers, Futzer.

Absolutely. Even though I just started fly fishing and tying, my local shop has been great. I browsed their website before I went there, and went in on a Thursday night, when the owner hosts a kind of "get together". You bring your vice, bobbin, scissors, and thread, he supplies everything else. He shows everyone how to tie a new fly every week.

One of the guys brought in a 12 pack and was passing them around, even to the new guy. :)

Went in again on Saturday morning, just to say thanks for being so helpful, and he sat down for an hour and showed me some basic flies. Great service, very friendly, definitely worth the 35 minute drive.

Cool, and look for a shop with a table in the store, sometimes in the back, there will always be a few folks there, but do not be antimidated, take your vice, they will always make room. Tie a few bugs. You won't be dissapointed. Help is free, really good help may cost you a pack of dubbing, or a beer.

Futzer.

yeah the guys in the local shops will get you going and will be able to answer pretty much anything that has you stuck, many have an inhouse tier that you can watch and learn a load.

Wax your thread you will find it easier to use I use pre waxed thread but I always wax around 1 yard before starting to tie makes working with dubbing and tying of much easier

The most important thing is to enjoy what ever you do tie

never ever make one single fly of one pattern sure as anything a fish will break it off

Leave your vise set up and ready to go. If you pack it away after you tie everytime you will tie less and once its out of sight its out of mind sometimes. Ask for advise and help where needed - until you get over some of the rough spots

For your first flies, tie the most simple fly you can find,

like SJ worm, deer hair inch worm, etc.

There is no point in trying the hardest fly you can find having it turn out trashy.

Master the easy ones, then move on.

DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK FOR HELP!

There is no such thing as a 'stupid question' and there are lots of people who WILL

share what they know. Of course it's fun to experiment yourself and the feeling of

solving a problem is nice. But when it comes to the point where frustration starts to

take over, the best solution is to ask for help. Standing on the same spot is a waste

of time... giving up is losing valuable knowledge.

And even if you DO solve it yourself, a good advice is to ask anyway. There are often

several ways to achieve the same result and the best way is always the way that suits

YOU best. Your own solution might have worked, but there might still be ways you would

have prefered if you knew about them.

/Nick

Buy from a local store if you have one.

steve - you couldn't have put it any better than that. I've seen to many mom & pop tackle shops disappear. I recently did a search of tackle shops within 10 miles of my home and every one was shuttered. :( If we keep buying from the big box chain stores and I hate to say it, Online; then we only help a great source of knowledge, supplies, and great conversations meet an early demise.

A good goal when starting is tie 24 of one pattern (i also supply my son and daughter with flies) then learn a new one. basically 1 new pattern a week. you will build your repitiore(sp?) quick.

When being creative once you create something you like(and the fish like) write it down. nothing worse than forgetting a great fly.