Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
iso18

what is yalls opinion

to apply to your tying thread before putting the dubbing on.I have always just used wax,currently wapsi.With some of the hairs ear and angora blends i've been mixing,just seems the wax is not holding it well.Also,when forming a dubbing loop,every now and again my threads snaps, like a twig, while twisting the loop.Is this normal if tightened to much?Also have yall ever used the 12 compartment dubbing mix of squierrl hair that cabelas sales?Is this a good product for nymphs?

shane

p.s.One more thing,What r some of you alls favorite dubbing for mayfly and stonefly nymph bodies? :unsure :unsure: :unsure:

I do not use wax. The Fly Tiers Dungeon makes sweet dubbing for nymphs (Hares web coarse and wet and Mr peacock) For glue/cement zap a gap sally hansen's and Griff's thin cement. I like Griff's thin because it soaks in deep.

I use natures wax- saliva. Try to twist up smaller amounts.

Dubbing- Hares Ear Plus, Ice Dub, Krystal Dub, Awesome Possum, Haree Ice Dub, SLF Master Class, SLF Whitlock, Wapsi Life Cycle.

Glue- Depends if you want a glossy coat or penetration. I like Grifs Thick cement or Sally Hansen for glossy. I like Grifs Thin or Orvis Deep Penetrating for soaking through the thread.

With the dubbing loop, you are probably twisting it up too much (watch the opening of thread at the shank, if this closes up it is going to break). Also, try a little heavier thread or gel-spun. However, gel-spun tends to cut hollow materials (like deer, elk) when twisting them up in the dubbing loop. I like UTC 210 or Flymaster Plus for this application.

for head cement I havent found a super large variation in the clear stuff. I just let mine thicken a bit and use one of those plastic applicator things to apply a drop at a time.

What type of thread are you using? I have never had mine snap before.

for head cement I havent found a super large variation in the clear stuff. I just let mine thicken a bit and use one of those plastic applicator things to apply a drop at a time.

What type of thread are you using? I have never had mine snap before.

8/0 nylon

i apply wax to my thumb and index finger when using dubbing.

saliva work too!

for head cement i use grifs thin and black duck traditional

I do not use wax. The Fly Tiers Dungeon makes sweet dubbing for nymphs (Hares web coarse and wet and Mr peacock) For glue/cement zap a gap sally hansen's and Griff's thin cement. I like Griff's thin because it soaks in deep.
thanx day5,just ordered a 12 compartment supply of hares web.

shane

As far as dubbing wax goes, I make my own. It's incredibly tacky and grabs any dubbing material with ease. It's violent stuff and if you have any residue on your fingers while dubbing, it will dub your fingers and hands and forearms......LOL! I use Veniard's Cellire in Clear and Black. I haven't found a better varnish for finishing the heads on flies. Although, there is a Kelson's formula head varnish on FeathersMc that puts down an incredible head. Might check into it. For fishing flies, I just hit the head with a dab of LocTite. The kind that comes in the bottle with the applicator brush. Zap a gap and all that stuff is pretty much superglue with a higher price tag. -Jamie

I rarely use wax anymore. As a matter of fact, I almost always use a dubbing loop with small diameter thread for all my flies. Never have had my thread in a loop snap, and I twist that sucker tight if I want a tight body.

I use Sally Hansen's for most, and sometimes Loon head cement.

No wax,,,, the only exception is "Touch Dubbing"..... I also like fine thread with dubbing loop when practical.

Dave's Flexament, very thin mixture, it penetrates and locks material to the hook.

Regards,

FK

for cement I also use sally hansen,loon and Dave's flexament does anyone now of or remember a head cement called pharmacist formula? I really liked it and cant find it anymore can someone help me out?

as for wax this may sound crazy but I use the toilet seal wax you get at the hardware store for $1.25 and melt it into and old hook box for touch dubbing and to apply to the thread I jammed some into an old deodorant tube!

cheers, Rick

to apply to your tying thread before putting the dubbing on.I have always just used wax,currently wapsi.With some of the hairs ear and angora blends i've been mixing,just seems the wax is not holding it well.Also,when forming a dubbing loop,every now and again my threads snaps, like a twig, while twisting the loop.Is this normal if tightened to much?Also have yall ever used the 12 compartment dubbing mix of squierrl hair that cabelas sales?Is this a good product for nymphs?

shane

p.s.One more thing,What r some of you alls favorite dubbing for mayfly and stonefly nymph bodies? :unsure :unsure: :unsure:

I never use wax or something like that. If your thread snaps, probably it would be better to change it, maybe thread with kevlar or elastic fibers? I think, probably you have a small sensibility in fingers. Tie, tie, tie and everything will be better.

Mr. Daly's wax is the best stuff ever! You can order it at feathersmc.com. It is super tacky and will definately help hold dubbing on the thread.