Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tidewaterfly

Saltwater & Warmwater Tiers Poll

Natural or Synthetics?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was just wondering what most tiers prefer. I still use natural materials more than synthetics. I'm sure most will use a combination as I do, but if you were limited to just one or the other, what would you choose?

That's been my experience as well! So far, I haven't seen any synthetic that has better action than natural materials.

this is kind of a difficult question. I have to disagree to some extent with the above comments, there are many synthetics which have properties which are not matched by any commonly available naturals. Also, in my experience, synthetic materials tend to be more durable than naturals such as bucktail and hackle- especially when dealing with sharp-toothed saltwater fish like blues. All that being said, I still cast my vote for natural materials. I'm WAY guilty of buying and tying with lots of synthetic materials, but I think I think I like crafting a nice deer-hair bug more than a foam popper, for example. I tend to do a lot of combinations of natural and synthetic materials in my flies. Thankfully right now we don't need to choose just one. One of the best patterns I've ever come up with for big bream during the springtime Hex hatch is a combo of marabou, ice-dub, hackle, packing foam, and krystal-flash. I could tie a version with all natural materials, and certainly could with all synthetics- the specific properties of each material all come together into a very effective package though.

Except for hackles (for which there is no alternative) I use almost exclusively synthetics.

Closed cell foam is easier to work with than hair (which I spent two decades spinning) and floats better.

Rubber and silicone legs have no real comparable in natural materials.

Synthetic hair (like super hair) is much more durable than bucktail -- although I still use bucktail in a lot of saltwater poppers because of the floatation of the bucktail.

Woven flies use natural materials if you count cotton --which is used to make some embroidery floss.

For most patterns I use flat waxed nylon not cotton thread.

I love the way rabbit strips move in the water, but my vote was for synthetic... I use more synthetic material for my bass, pike and muskie flies. The majority of the streamers that I tie have a combination of both, but overall I use more synthetic.

I much prefer natural materials personally, but like many of the above tyers I often use a combination of the two. It seems one benefit of synthetic, in addition to durability, is consistancy. You need to find a good supplier to ensure consistently getting high quality natural materials (not all bucktails are created equal) whereas you can buy EP fibers or Fish Hair anyplace and you know what you are getting (as far as I can tell).

Thanks to everyone who voted! I wasn't sure what the concensus would be, but looks like natural is still quite popular!

This all started as the result of a discussion. Actually it was an argument. A friend of mine introduced me to a friend of his, and the subject of fishing came up. Further into the discussion, I said I tied flies, and had at various times secured my own materials thru hunting, trapping or roadkills. As it turned out the other person was an animals rights advocate, and it all went down hill from there. Fake fur got mentioned several times.

My position was that natural materials are a renewable resource, while synthetics are primarily derived from petroleum base products, and with the recent fuel issues & high prices, natural materials still had a place. Or something along that line.

It got heated. He called me a barbarian & a neanderthal.

So, I did the only thing I could do. I beat him with my club & posted this poll!

That's it! :rolleyes:

I like natural materials but have also used synthetics.

each of the have a place in fly tying history and synthetics probably wont go away for many years to come.

It seems one benefit of synthetic, in addition to durability, is consistancy. You need to find a good supplier to ensure consistently getting high quality natural materials (not all bucktails are created equal) whereas you can buy EP fibers or Fish Hair anyplace and you know what you are getting (as far as I can tell).

That is an excellent point. I can't count the number of bucktails I've gone through which are horrible quality- ones which have 3/4 of the hair too short for even freshwater flies, and the useable hair all mixed in.

The points expressed are all valid. This wasn't meant to start a debate over which is better, but simply which is prefered if a choice had to be made. It is certainly true that there are properties of each that are not dupicated in the other, and yes they both have a place in modern tying.

I use both as others do and hope that never has to change! :)

Thanks again to all who voted in the poll and for the comments. :D

I prefer synthetics for quality and color selection (esp. EP 3-D).

Thhat said I like exotic plumage for my balsa bugs and that cannot be replicated synthetically.

Well TWF, for me Salt vs. Warm are two very different applications. Salt is much more demanding on durability, and I use far more synthetics because of that. Warm water I go with more naturals. The natural materials just do not hold up to more than a fish or two in the salt, let alone being good for more than one trip. How ever natural material does make buggier flies, so for warm water that is a preference. So for me there is too much difference to make one comment.

Cheers, Futzer.