Fly Tying
jimmyboy

cheap materials

I was in "Big Lots" yesterday. Its a clearance and seconds store and I saw a big Bundle-75 yards of Mohair. It was spun into a strand (just like you would do with a dubbing loop) then lightly twisted with a tinsel strand. 75 YARDS!! A wad bigger than two fists for... are you ready.....$1.50! I got home separated the two strands and wrapped up a cardspool of Mohair --10'. Half this in a fly shop would have cost me $3.00. Now, what to do with the other 72 YARDS????

Anybody want some real cheap?

Tie up some of these...

This is what it usually costs...

PM me if you would like me to send you some..$2 includes postage. :thumbsup:

Another idea is a trip to the zoo, get the kids to play hunt the feather and lots of free stuff.

Hey that is a great idea!! The Denver Zoo has Peacock roaming all over the place. Ya' think a 7 or 9 yr old could pluck a sword?? Hmm, is there a law against that? No biggie, they'd be charged as a "juvie". And think about it, how much could a judge set bail for a kid who has to be back to school on Monday. "Kids, get your sneakers on...." "We're going on a field trip for Daddy" :devil:

Hey, what about roadkill? I see all kinds of critters on the roadside. Squirrels, rabbits, deer, and the occasional muskrat, and woodchuck to name a few. I always keep a few ziplok bags in the truck!

Horse mane ties some wicked saltwater streamers! ...a friend of mine had some wierd breed of horse. I used to ask her all the time to let me cut some of its mane for tying. It was about 10-12 inches long, very soft, and kinda kinky or wavy. Well, the horse got really sick and they had to put it down. Wish I could find a few more of them horses.

Have a buddy who works for the zoo here. He occasionaly helps the vet out handling some of those weird animals. Sometimes he shows up at my door ; "Hey, I got some armpit hair from the Mountain Gorilla, Ya got any use for it?" So far nothing illigal, as far as I know.

Tabby cat fur, makes an awsome substitute for hare dubbing. Also, those plastic-coated twisty ties. You can strip off the plastic and use the wire for non-lead weight. Take my word for it, it works great.

LOL - I'm going to hit up the grocery store right now!

Carpet fibers and fuzz from new or old carpet just rub your hand on it or use a butterknife. Or go to a carpet store and look at the scraps easier to get the fuzz from new carpet scraps

Copper wire from old electric cords

Easter grass

Balloon holders the foil ones

marking tape for hunting usualy just orange

garbage bags uncented

beads from kids knecklaces

the rubber twist from a sinker for eyes

rubber cleaning gloves for scuds

sock fuzz wash first

round foam weather stripping for poppers

stirring straws

paint rollers for dubbing

ROAD KILL

Well thats some of the stuff I can think of now that wasnt already posted I've used hope it helps someone

I don't have any Lamas but I do have access to about 90 Alpacas... and wouldn't you know it we just sheared them about a week ago and I have 8 30 gallon trash bags full of trim fiber, in every color that they com in from white, many shades of brown, black, silverish gray, and with a little time and some of that white... any color I want!!! As alway though I love the road kill and have more buck tails than I know what to do with and Ithink at least three of every color I've ever tried to dye.

Here is a pic of half of the blanket fiber from one Alpaca... remeber I still have to shear the fiber from the other side as well as the legs,neck and head. Talk about dubbing huh???!!!???!!! :o

AlpacaShearing016.jpg

Steve

Have a buddy who works for the zoo here. He occasionaly helps the vet out handling some of those weird animals. Sometimes he shows up at my door ; "Hey, I got some armpit hair from the Mountain Gorilla, Ya got any use for it?" So far nothing illigal, as far as I know.

Make sure you comb it, you never know what might turn up in the hair from a gorrillas armpit :bugeyes:

So far no one has come up with the most obvious source of "cheap materials". You don't even have to get up to find them, look in your waist-troll or garbage bin. There is a lot of usable material left after you wrap a hackle, pull off some fibers for tailing and winging. The left over bits of feathers, hackle, wire ribbing, what ever, its all sitting there in front of you. I just finished up a bunch of Catskill style dry flies and used the prime part of the flank feathers for the wings, but there was a lot of each feather left over. All the flies below, were tied using these "scraps." The tails and legs are the left over parts of the barred feather, and the bodies are either wrapped from the same material, or made by dubbing the thread with the soft fuzzy base of the feathers. That still leaves me the stem of the feather. I soak these in water and a little fabric softener and wrap them as quill bodies, on both nymphs and dry flies.