Fly Tying

I have had to divert my fishing time to my new ark building hobby. It has been raining here for over a week! I will likely use the poppers when it is warmer and the trout aren't eating much. The stream by my house is not spring fed, so it warms up quite a bit in July and the trout head to deeper water to stay cool. Then I will go to the lake where I plan to toss those poppers out around the edges of the lilly pads.

We do need the rain as we had a deficit and the crops would suffer so I can't complain too much and would rather have it now rather then later when it would destroy them.

I'm hoping to get out this sunday afternoon.

I have had to divert my fishing time to my new ark building hobby. It has been raining here for over a week! I will likely use the poppers when it is warmer and the trout aren't eating much. The stream by my house is not spring fed, so it warms up quite a bit in July and the trout head to deeper water to stay cool. Then I will go to the lake where I plan to toss those poppers out around the edges of the lilly pads.

We do need the rain as we had a deficit and the crops would suffer so I can't complain too much and would rather have it now rather then later when it would destroy them.

I know how you feel about the rain. It seems like it has rained here almost everyday for the last month, but like you said we need the rain if not now for later. At least it is putting water into our little streams and rivers and we will be able to fish them later. Here I have tried to toss a couple of the poppers two weekends ago around the mudflats of one of our lakes but didn't have much luck. We think that the bass was already going into prespawn and some may have already been on the nest. My hubby lucked out that day and caught a bass on his popper, just luck I think. We usually fish warmwater until the panfish and the bass won't play then we fish the trout streams around but they are a little ways drive, the closest is about an hour or hour and a half away. Good luck to you Sunday.

I know how you feel about the rain. It seems like it has rained here almost everyday for the last month, but like you said we need the rain if not now for later. At least it is putting water into our little streams and rivers and we will be able to fish them later. Here I have tried to toss a couple of the poppers two weekends ago around the mudflats of one of our lakes but didn't have much luck. We think that the bass was already going into prespawn and some may have already been on the nest. My hubby lucked out that day and caught a bass on his popper, just luck I think. We usually fish warmwater until the panfish and the bass won't play then we fish the trout streams around but they are a little ways drive, the closest is about an hour or hour and a half away. Good luck to you Sunday.

No let up on the East Coast either. This season has been a wash (no PUN intended) The rivers and canals are fast and muddy, the lakes and ponds are high with near zero visibility.

If anything the fish have been feeding on what ever the runoff has been dumping into the ponds, lakes rivers and streams. The one really nice day we had I working on a Hot Dog Truck outside of Union County Park. I had to watch all the anglers walking by with creels of Trout or listen to anglers bragging about the feeding frenzy of the various Pan fish swimming in the river.

:yahoo: got my new set of flies and a box from bentflyrod yesterday. Nice ties I can't wait to try out that crayfish and I know those dries will get fished this Sunday, the brookies are rising. Thanks to everyone involved for a great swap.

Ian

Paul,

Just thought that I would drop a few lines to let you know that I fished some of the flies I received in my box from you this past weekend. I caught a few nice gills on the black and white deerhair flie and I tried a few of the others out with the trout in another location however the trout just didn't want to play. Thanks.