Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use a Thompson stationary vise, hope to on a new Dyna king this x-mass.

But have tied hundreds or darn near thousands of damn good flys on it.

Even sold a few hundred while living in New Brunswick.

I own 12 vises at this time but, the 2 that I primarilly use are 1) The Renzetti Salt water master w/ Ausable speed crank and for my travel vise 2) Griffin Oddesy Cam

It took me some getting use to the speed crank on the Renzetti but, now I like it; it has a 2.5:1 ratio. And can do dubbing much easier than the Griffin.

It still doesn't beat a Norvise as being easy to apply dubbing materials. And Norm makes it look even easier.

Griffin 3AR, a gift from my folks. Don't think that I've figured out how to use it to its full potential yet. I've also used a Thompson Pro, and Regal model of my dad's. Plus a few random test-ties in various stores

The screw that's used on the Griffin for closing the jaws is pretty annoying, especially for simple flies that get banged out really quickly; I really liked the speed and feel of the mechanism on the Regal, but somehow it just looked like it was going to break the next time I put a hook in it. I may upgrade from the Griffin in the next little while, but with the cost of some of these suckers, I could probably get a metal lathe and welding set for the same price and build my own :P

Well, I have got my DYNA-KING SUPREME and LOVE IT!!! :yahoo:

Now I am moving on to setting up a permanent Fly Tying station instead of getting out a bunch of boxes setting up and then having to put it all away again.

Is there a thread on Fly Tying station/desks: recommendations? What NOT to do based on others experience etc.?? :unsure:

Perhaps I need to start a thread. Never done that, but I assume I can figure it out if need be. :help:

UNSATWORK

I started out with a Griffith Patriot which did everything that I wanted with the exception of smooth rotation. I would still recommend the Patriot to anyone looking for a moderately priced vise.

I became passionate about flytying and decided to invest in a better vise for the long run. I wanted a vise with jaws that could handle everything from large saltwater to size 22 dry flies. Many of my friends recommended Renzetti vises. I looked at the 2003 Renzetti vises and thought the workmanship only fair. I found Dyna King workmanship superior. I was patient, shopped around and got a great deal on a new Dyna King Ron Abbey Special on eBay. I love it! However, it wasn't so much the price as the quality of the vise that was the deciding factor for me. It took me a while to get used to the grooved jaws, but now they are very easy to use.

About higher priced vises. I learned a long time ago that there is no substitute for quality tools. It's kind of like screw drivers. You can buy a quality screw driver for $6.99 that will last a life time or you can buy one for $.99, bust a few knuckles and replace it every other year for the rest of your working life. I tie flies average 4 to 5 times a week and ENJOY the vice every time. It is a PLEASURE to use! So for me the price of the vice even if I had to pay $300 to $400 would be worth it. I do not make a great deal of money so any purchase requires saving money from each paycheck and careful consideration.

I use cheap chinese vise. I just have no money for a new, better one, so I am sticking to this one. It will have to be replaced eventually, since the jaws are not holding small hooks well no more :(

Like many of you I started 35 yrs ago with the Thompson, but as I got more into tying I went through an HMH ( that was stolen from my car),a Rensetti, a Regal and a Nor-Vise for streamers. I now have a combination of vises that I finally think is the one that suites my needs best for now,and I couldn't be more satisfied. For my everyday vise I use a Law ( got sold on it by Oliver Edwards ), and for my travel vise I use the new Mark Pettijean ( recommended by Kim Boal ) It does everything, and very compact.

I started out on the Thompson A vise and changed to a Danvice wish I had it twenty years ago. I have been using this vise for 8 years and love it. I like the hook holding power and the ease that you can change hooks size with just a slight adjustment.

I currently use a Dyna King Voyager for the vast majority of my fly tying. I'm thinking of trying a Peak...was looking for some advise from those that may have some experience with one....pros/cons would be appreciated. Sure looks like a nice vice for the price.

I started fly tying with hooks clamped into an X-Acto knife collet, and the collet was clamped to a pair of Vise-grip pliers that I held between my knees.

Despite that handicap, I got interested in fly tying in a big way. My first "real" vise was a Thompson A. I used it for a couple of years and stepped up to a Regal.

That was 28 years ago. I still have the Regal, and I use it for all my standard-sized flies.

A couple of months ago, I started tying full-dress Atlantic salmon flies. The Regal's lack of a rotary feature became a hindrance. So last night, I bought an almost-new Dyna-King Barracuda on E-bay. The fellow I bought it from had lots of optional attachments -- profile plates, bobbin hanger, waste catcher, extension arm, C-clamp, etc., etc. I got the whole shebang for a little more than the vise alone would cost new. Woo-hoo! :yahoo:

I started out ripping through half a dozen Cabela's vises before stepping up to a rotary. I now tie on a Dyna King Barracuda Deluxe.

I still love my Regal. I started with a Sunrise, a Thompson A knockoff, got a Thompson A, and then finally sprung for the Regal.

I've tried the Renzetti and would like the full rotary function for woolies and fancier salmon flies, but hate the chromed aspect (glare bothers my eyes). I know Renzetti can produce a flat black vise; Bob Popovics has one custom-made as a gift from the company but not available commercially. If I could get one in flat black in the cam lever version like that, I might save up to buy it.

The Regal would still be my primary vise, since I tie a lot of saltwater flies. Once when I was exhibit tying at a fly show, an observer challenged my Regal's hook holding ability, I put in a 3/0 stainless steel Mustad hook and bent it double without moving it in the Regal. If you need to put pressure on the thread and are tying a durable fly, nothing beats it for holding ability.

The comments on the Thompson Cobra may eventually intrigue me, since it is more affordable and an alternative to the Renzetti. Anyone want to add more on the Cobra?

Started out with a AA about a year ago I purchased a knock off of a Regal at a fly shop in MA. I should have saved the money and bought a real Regal. This is a washing machine, hoping to pick up a low end rotary that has some backbone. Im tying larger streamers and sand eels and this vise can't handle the pressure with mono and kevlar thread.

Dave