Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I began tying in the early 60s with a kit vise I don't remember the name, threw it out when I bought my first Thompson Model A. When Universal came out with a Rotary vise, in the seventies, I was asked to test it. I tied on that vise for a very long time. Universal never manufactured the rotary vise for very long and I believe I have one of the very few ever made.

About 2 years ago I got a Renzetti Traveler vis for Christmas 2 years and I can't believe how much better it is. It's a pleasure to use and tie with.

:D

[size=7]I have a Renzetti Traveler with cam jaws. It has never given me any problem, but I do find it to be cheaply made. I recently contacted them about replacing the plastic screws with brass, I will see how it goes but they want to charge rediculous prices. My next vise (soon) will be an Anvil Atlas. If there is a better vise on the market at any price, I have not seen it. Fully machined stainless steel, rotary, and cam action with a hook range from 7/0 to 32. Way better built than my Renzetti and is only $149.00. Also comes standard with both a clamp, pedestool, material clip and hook guage. If you buy an Anvil, it is the only vise you will ever need. No I am not a sales rep, I just know a good product and wished I had known about Anvil when I bought the Renzetti.

Was using an Odyssey by Griffin, but just bought a Vosseler. So far I like the new one, but the old Odyssey had a couple of features I like as well. :)

Fly Fish Ohio will publish a comprehensive fly tying vise review during the first week of June (perhaps a bit earlier). We are in the midst of testing now. We have 23 vises under $150 including Anvil, Regal, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Danvise, Peak, Griffin, Thompson and a bunch more. Three different tiers are tying on each vise and keeping a log sheet where each vise is rated in ten aspects of performance. The total review will be a monster, but we'll have a nice distilled summary for those of you who want "just the facts, please". Anyway, this review covers many of the models discussed in this thread. We are tying everything from 24 Griffith's Gnats to 4/0 deer hair bugs - each tier has his own specialty and perference. At the end of the day I think this will be the most comprehensive and detailed review of fly tying vises ever published.

In the autumn we'll take up part two, which will cover vises from $151 to $400.

FYI. Suggestions are enthusiastically received.

Joe C.

Ok, got my Danvise... Uh, I'm not liking it, think the plastic base does it for me. I personally like a really solid vise, and this isn't one. The jaw was really nice though. Well it's back in the mail on it's way to be returned.

I used a regal for 15 years and a few months ago purchased a Nor-Vise and love it..It was easy to get use to..Makes certain techniques much faster and easier..

I've used an HMH Standard for about 20 years now -tried others but always come back to this one for its versatility and reliability.......Frank

Fly Fish Ohio will publish a comprehensive fly tying vise review during the first week of June (perhaps a bit earlier). We are in the midst of testing now. We have 23 vises under $150 including Anvil, Regal, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Danvise, Peak, Griffin, Thompson and a bunch more. Three different tiers are tying on each vise and keeping a log sheet where each vise is rated in ten aspects of performance. The total review will be a monster, but we'll have a nice distilled summary for those of you who want "just the facts, please". Anyway, this review covers many of the models discussed in this thread. We are tying everything from 24 Griffith's Gnats to 4/0 deer hair bugs - each tier has his own specialty and perference. At the end of the day I think this will be the most comprehensive and detailed review of fly tying vises ever published.

In the autumn we'll take up part two, which will cover vises from $151 to $400.

FYI. Suggestions are enthusiastically received.

Joe C.

that will be cool!!!! ID like to see a petitjean tested the new one looks sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you need a line on one I have a source. let me know.

I tie on a Renzetti Traveler with the cam jaws. As you can see above, my wife, Vickie, has a Nor-Vise and a Dan-Vise. Uh....Dear, I thought the Dan-Vise was your taveling vise???

REE

Dang, I gotta start checking to make sure she has logged out before I post.

I also tie on a renzetti traveller but I added the longer post extension. I find that this keeps my bobbin from touching the base and getting slack if i spin the thread to flatten it

I love my viseespecially the fact that it doesn't need to go on the table edge.

Jon

I started on a c-clamp and a pair of vicegrips. Got a Peak and have been putting it through it's paces for about six months. Bass bugs to midges so far so good. $200 well spent.It is a cool tool.

I started with a Thompson model A, went through several cam pivot pins in just a couple years, but it was a good vise. Next went to a Renzetti Presentation, which has a large hand knob that presses interchangeable jaws into a forcing cone. I used it exclusively for about 15 years or more, it has my favorite clamping method, no adjustment. I woudn't be at all interested in a Renzetti with the small clamping lever. When I started working at the fly shop I bought a Dyna King Barracuda so I could have a travel set up and a home set up and wouldn't have to tear down. I used the Dyna King for several years, then got a PEAK. I haven't used the Dyna King in several years now, although I liked it better than the Renzetti other than the hook clamping method. I now travel with and do all my lessons and demonstrations on a PEAK. They have by far the most stable pedestal base and c-clamp designs I've seen. They're US designed, machined and assembled and they are adding a wide range of well thought out accessories.