Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Barnaclebill

whip finisher

A single half-hitch would definitely not be as good but a few half-hitches and some head cement work okay. However, your question suggests you're considering alternatives because you're giving up on the whip-finish. I suggest you get a "Matarelli" (aka "rotating") whip finisher and have someone show you how to use it -- it is truly not that difficult. Once you know how to use it, then decide for yourself whether you would prefer some other option. But at least give yourself the choice.

-- Mike

Hi BarnacleBill, my best advice is to learn to whip finish. Far superior. Cheers Futzer.

Ditto with the above and after you get the hang of it.....it is really cool to do. Get that whip finisher and try, try again. Watch this video it was how I learnt.

Put in your favorite and practice with it.

Hope it helps.

I should have added, for practice use a bare hook, with materials out of the way, it will be easier to get the hang of it. Cheers, Futzer.

I had a hard time getting the hang of the Thompson (spelling?) whip finisher also. The old fashioned way was several double half hitches. I used them while I tried to learn how to use the whip finishing tool (without getting frustrated and sending it sailing out the window). Here's a link to Cammiss' videos. He teaches the knot on the video.

Try this link as well. It may help.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/part6.php

Well thanks for all your help everyone, i think i will stick with and try not to chuck my whip finisher out the window :wallbash:

post-10856-1242505011.jpg

I used a dremel to turn my Thompson whip finisher into a bodkin. I just couldn't get the hang of it and bought a matarelli and learned to use it in a few minutes.

Roy

whip finish is FAR superior to any other method of finishing off a fly- for real-world usefulness, anyhow. On small flies, say 14 and smaller, I use a 5 or 6 turn whip finish with no head cement, and have never had one come apart. Once you get it, you will never look back.

I also recommend a Matarelli whip finisher. Or you can whip finish by hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-WqowBsrBY

I hated my whip finisher before I got the hang of it. Sometimes I use it now two or three times on the body of the fly before I do the finish on the head.

neoFLYte

Austin TX

learn to whip finish it's faster, easier and stronger once you get the hang of it.

I learned to whip finish by watching web videos. I do it by hand and see no need for one of the tools. It's quick and easy once you get the hang of it. Practice with heavy twine and then go to thread. Bill

Funny all my students who learned the Materelli, found the Thompson easier to use. maybe you all are doing it wrong, besides its so nice to get in around hackle on a dry fly and not catch it like the Materelli.. just my 02.......... :rolleyes: