Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smalliestalker

rapala style deer hair articulated perch

so this is mallard feather in the tail, white/olice/yellow/black marabou.....stacked deer hair.....articulated.....with a rapala style spoon in front.....my new creation....what do you think?

post-22995-1257438502_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1257438519_thumb.jpg

so this is mallard feather in the tail, white/olice/yellow/black marabou.....stacked deer hair.....articulated.....with a rapala style spoon in front.....my new creation....what do you think?

Very nice!! what did you use for the diving bill? I do some stuff like that and will have to post as soon as I get some pics taken.

Great effort on this pattern, question, have you fished it yet?. You may find trimming down the lipp or tying in a slighly smaller one , it may be more effective, but until you fish it don't know?None the less, this is great work

Bruce

thanks all.....the lip is made with a self sealing laminate strip coated with epoxy then clear coated.....Bruce.....I haven't fished with it yet....I'm hoping to give it a try this weekend....what will the shorter lip do?

That is Bad Assed! You can get thin sheet of polycarbonate for the lips. Shorter lips will make it swing less but I found it to be more easier to strip and act more naturally. Just make a bunch and experiment.

Wow dude thats sweet! If my experience with crankbaits has served me then a smaller bull will make it run higher in the water column and the width and shape of the bill will affect the tightness of the wiggle. Bill length = depth and bill width = wiggle tightness. With a short fat bill your perch would run like the new breed of wake c-baits. I guess its not so new breed anymore now. It caught on when Takahiro Omori won the classic in 04.

i guess i need to experiment a bit...got all winter to tie up a bunch of um....hoping to try it out this weekend

Let us know how they work if you make it out this weekend.

ok...so tried it out on the water today.....incredible action...that spoon throws the fly side to side...the articulated back section goes all over the place....when stripped in quick it goes about 6 inches below the surface then pops back up when stopped.....a little tough to throw out...definitly a double haul moment....I'm going to shorten the bill a little ...I think it will hold an up right position better.....and maybe move even more on the surface....all in all....a good experiment...I will make more....