Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stillfishin

thread control

Not sure of an exercise per se , but you should strive to keep the amount of thread that's out of your bobbin to a minimum at all times. The closer your bobbin tip is to the fly the better control you will have with it.(sorry I think that sounds like Yoda said it) But ,you can see the farther your hand with the bobbin moves away from the fly the less control you'll have.

Fred

What Fred said. I would also suggest light colored thread. You will better see just where your thread is going with white or cream thread.

I would also suggest light colored thread. You will better see just where your thread is going with white or cream thread.

This has helped me more than anything as far as thread control. I rarely use any color thread except for

white, at least until I get to the head.

And as Master Fred suggest: Better control you will have, closer your bobbin tip.

Mike

Just a little quick add-on, I recently sat down with Dennis Potter for a workshop on techniques. He said AT MOST you should have 3 inches of thread out. Another thing he said, if you're not breaking your thread every so often, you're not using the correct thread pressure. Many say that your scissors are the most integral part of tying, but infact, it's the hands!

I dont know of any other excercises besides tying. Just keep tying and keep "THREAD CONTROL" in the back of your head. I think that the first month or two of tying is the most important. This is when most bad habits are formed. I took a piece of paper and wrote "thread control" on it, then tacked to the wall in front of my tying table. Every so often i would see it and it would remind me.... :headbang:

Thank's guy's! you're so helpful

I did't get the Yoda part?

Yoda re-ordered the words in his sentences in a characteristic way; for example, instead of saying, "You will go to the stream," he would say, "Go to the stream, you will."

A few other things for developing thread control:

1. Maybe it goes without saying, but strive to always maintain tension on the thread, even if it's just the weight of the bobbin.

2. A useful exercise to develop thread control, as well as a general tying principle, is to strive to make every single thread wrap go precisely/exactly where you believe it should go and under the correct amount of tension. A corollary to this is to strive to make every thread wrap count (for example, don't make 4 wraps of thread if 3 will suffice). By paying close attention to these principles, your flies will start looking neater and sturdier.

3. Get a good, very detailed book like Skip Morris' "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple" that goes into great detail about how to execute individual thread wraps in particular circumstances.

All of these tips are spot on and Hairstacker sums it up nicely. I took a all day class, which was called Thread Control, from Tyer Wayne Luallen, which was an intensive look at just what these guys are talking about.

Another great tip to look into is counter spinning your thread periodically (provided you are a right hand tyer) Every time you make a turn around the hook it puts a clockwise turn in your thread so after several turns it can give you fits when trying to place a precise wrap at a critical point. So pull out several inches of thread and give your bobbin a counter spin ,let it spin until the thread "flattens out"then pinch your thumb and fore finger together while holding the thread and run them down several inches, this flattens the thread out so it tends to lay flatter and is easier to place the wrap exactly where you want it to go. Once you have done this then shorten your thread back up to 3 inches or less and start cranking . Also as stated above : Two side by side turns of thread secure a material better than 5 overlapping, so watch how many turns use use, most of time the only thing you end up with is a lump/bump.

I would be glad to meet you in the virtual class room (provided you have cable or broad band, dial-up won't work).

There are different techniques used for application of different materials, things such as soft loops, pinch tech. are just two things that come to mind. Let me know if you have an interest in meeting in the class room and you can see what I'm talkin about

Bruce

A couple things you can do. Break your thread....a few times. I always have my new tiers attach their thread and then break it. This will give you an idea of the breaking strength. Then try to tie just below the breaking point of your thread. Also, get to know your thread. How it lays out, how many strands, which way is the twist (different brands twist in different directions. As Bruce said the twist is important, but I believe in twisting it tighter or flattening it out for different applications. Also, start tying some basic spider (thread and hackle flies). I think these are the best to learn thread control on and will catch you plenty of fish.

I must say I applaud :clapping: you for even concerning yourself with "thread control" it is often overlooked by beginners and those that teach fly tying. It is the foundation to quality tying and durable flies. Get it down and your tying will grow by leaps and bounds.

Bruce is dead right amount spin. if you let your bobbin hang after making 20 wraps it will spin on its own as it unwinds. But here is an easy exercise. take a long hook as long as you can find. Start the thread at the eye make 5 wraps and trim off the tag. now make slow wraps from the eye to the bend but keep the wraps tight with no gaps. "edge to edge" is the term i use when I work on this my kids. Do this slow and build speed as you go. Now the one thing that has helped me out the most was learning how to tie full dressed salmon flies. Ive only done a hand full and i admit not very well. (honestly my 9 year old is much better than I am at it) but the things I learned from that has helped me out the most. IM not saying you need to become the next bud g but learning some of the concepts is a huge help!