Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oracle

Deerhair bassbug question

Ok i am getting a ton of deerhair from a cousin and i am thinking about tying a bunch of bassbugs for this spring.So my question is what kind of tying thread should i use. I have been trying to use danvilles 210 denier flat waxed nylon and it absolutly sucks at spinning the hair.Any suggestions or tips on what to use or and hair spinning tips cause im kinda new at spinning hair. thanks

thanks guys for your tips and advise.I will problly be posting some pictures of my bugs after i get a few tied.The first ones are goin in my personal arsonal.O and j thanks for the advise i had heard that kevlar is evil.

GSP, just get some and save yourself a lot of time. I would suggest at first using 100 denier, if not 200 for bass bug work. 50 will cut the hair a little easier if you put too much tension on it= 100 and 200 have less tendency to cut the hair.

Avoid Kevlar.

Heavy nylon is also good, but not as good as GSP.

I have used unscented waxed dental floss for 20 years and never had a problem, give it a shot. The only pain is transfering it from the dental floss holder to an empty spool. When you choose a bobbin use a magnum.

Hi I Ty A lot of deer hair flies and I have tried a lot of different threads But the best one I have found is Big Fly thread by uni thread!!!

thanks tyrite (Glen Dayton)

I'm with tyrite. I use the big fly thread as well and have been happy with it.

Im all for gelspun too, used many and its the best; slick, thin and strong.

Also, you need a really good bobbin, strong with ceramic tip, like a Ryte Bobbin (spelling)

I second the recommendation for size A rod wrapping thread.

I have used almost all threads and return to the Gudebrod "A" thread.

Regards,

FK