Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SDHflyfisher

biggest trout from small stream

I took a 9 and 3/4 brookie from a stream that is at most 4 ft wide earlier this summer. Last summer was a 17" rainbow from a small creek.

"17" BROOKIE with a kyped jaw in october in a creek in north central Pa. from a hole about 8' wide and 4' deep on a weighted picket pin fished like a nymph. SDH...that stream in central CT. wouldn't happen to be Laurel Grove Brook would it? I grew up on that brook.

A.A.

Interesting subject here. My largest trout from southeast Tennessee on a small stream is a 12 inch rainbow. It was caught on a local stream not more than 15 feet wide at the widest, more like average 6 to 10 feet. Caught on a nymph in a pool about the size of a bathtub. Same stream has given up several 10 and 11 inchers. All were released to catch again. headbang.gif

16 1/2" brown from a creek about 8' at most and in spots thins down to about 5 or 6'

From the same creek, my brother in law has a 21" brown (replica) on his wall. Just up river a little ways from where I caught mine.

An 11" brook trout and an 11" brown from the same small stream in central PA. Both on a #12 light Cahill. I don't think the brookie was a wild fish though. sad.gif

Wild: 10 inch brookie out of Sout Mineral Creek way up in some of Coloradoe's Mountains. The creek was as wide I am tall.

Stocked: Arkansas's Dry Run Creek.......................18 inch rainbow

In our trip to Colorado I also luckily landed a 5 pound 24 inch rainbow

How small are we talking here? There is a small spring creek that dumps into the pacific I fish occasionally. Is only about 5-10' wide. So if that counts. Biggest trout (depends on your definition) is a searun rainbow trout (sorry, had to do it) of 16 pounds. Biggest salmon is a 20 pound silver out of same creek. There are only a couple spots you can fish with enough obstruction to hide you, or you have to sneak up since it's pretty clear alot of the times. Luckily in some of the wider spots it's deeper and holds fish. Can't give the name of the creek though. But can say it's somewhere between Grays Harbor and Neah Bay. wink.gif

Okay, then I'll put this one up. Upper Tilton River here in Washington (it's a tributary of the Cowlitz River and WELL inland). Was fishing the very upper part where it's only about 8' wide. Caught a 12# steelhead in "trout" area. Usually don't find them up that far. But was a nice summerrun. Caught it only a hundred or so yards upstream of where they dump trout in. Normally the "local" or "hicks" won't go up that far. Was working a caddisfly nymph when my line just jerked under the water (not a pause, but an all out yank). Thank god I was fishing glass fly rods then. Think a graphite would've snapped, or I'd have lost the fish. But was using my old fenwick 5wt.