Fly Tying
mswaterfowler

What Should I Buy?

I got a 50$ gift certificate to Cabelas for christmas and i dont know what to get with it. I need some ideas on what to get. I will be tying some basic trout flies(wet and dry), but also will be tying some warmwater flies. I just need to know some of the basic materials I should always have. Thanks.

IMO, spend the gift certificate on a new Prestige Plus fly line ($30 on sale now), and the other $20 on hooks. If you don't need the line right now, seal it up in a ziplock and put it in the frigerator until you do need it. It's equivalent in performance and quality to most $70 lines. You can always come up with some excuse to spend some of your own money on materials...!

If I were you, I'd look in the pattern database, pick a few flies that you

like and order the materials listed. I assume you already have the basic tools,

thread and such.

Mike

In order to best answer your question, we will need to know what you already have. I assume you are looking to buy something fly tying related, right?

Oh, Sorry about that, I have tied a good bit for warmwater, so I have all of the basic warmwater stuff, such as foam, chenille, rubberlegs, etc. I just need to know some basic supplies for trout flies; Some materials that I can use for about any type of fly for trout. Like what kind of hackle should I buy. Just some materials for some of your favorite and best producing flies. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks.

Your profile says your 15 so I'm guessing your budget is pretty limited to the 50 bucks you got. Aside from the hooks to tie them on I'd try to stock up on some of the cheaper items that will get you going. Dubbing is cheap at $2 a pop, you would do good going with some hare's ear, adams, sulpher/pmd, tan and olive. A Patch of deer and elk hair will go a good ways as well. Thread in yellow, brown, grey, black, yellow and brown. Some medium wire in copper, gold and silver. Some peacock herl and goose biots in brown, white and black. Perhaps some micorfibets, antron and a color or two of saddle hackle. The problem with hackle for most hackle for drys is it's really expensive. Your $50 gift certificate will only buy you perhaps one or two colors and not much else. With a few combos of the above you can probably manage several flys for your money. For instance aside from the price of hooks you could tie: prince nymph with, thread, goose biot (2 colors), peacock herl and cheap saddle hackle for under $15. You could tie an elk Hair caddis with: dubbing, thread, wire, elk hair, cheap saddle hackle (trimmed or left out depending on pattern) for around the same. Of course it all depends on your current skill level and what your already have on hand but I think you can do pretty well with avoiding expensive hackles for a little while atleast. Heck, I'm a really new tier and I do the best I can to avoid dealing with hackle when I can work with cheap supplies like dubbing and elk hair to refine my technique.

If your trying to tie dry flies for trout and bass on a budget, you should learn to tie the comparadun pattern. By using different shades of deer hair, dubbing, and different hook sizes, you can imitate a lot of may flies. The same deer hair and dubbing can be used for smaller caddis patterns (you don't really need any hackle on them.) What you would need to start tying comparaduns would be an Ultra fine dubbing assortment (12.00,) Comparadun hair (2.25.) This hair comes in two shades dun and natural get two or each. For tailing, you can uses synthetic or natural fibers. Moose body hair, larger neck or saddle hackle, or synthetic fibers. I use all three at times. With that very limited assortment of materials, you are set to tie up several hundred files. Now you will need hooks. The Cabela brand at 4.25 per pack. Get two pack of 12, 14, then one each of size 16, and 18. That should leave just enough for shipping.

I have included a picture of a few comparaduns.

post-12074-1262097814_thumb.jpg

I need some ideas on what to get.

we need some ideas on what you have??

as someone else said, pick out 5-10 patterns that you want to buy and buy those materials.

The problem with trout flies is that the hackle tends to be pricey so you have to choose wisely. First off you should find a dry fly pattern or two that will work in your area, then find one moderately priced dry fly hackle neck that will be the right color for the fly. I would probably select brown as the first choice. You can tie an Elk Hair Caddis with brown hackle, some olive dubbing and some elk hair. When you're ready to buy your next hackle later on, go for grizzly. Then you can tie an Adams with the grizzly and the brown you already have. I would get the following other materials in addition to what I mentioned above: strung peacock herl, gray dubbing, a couple of pairs of mallard quills (natural gray), some fine mylar tinsel, olive chenille, a small package of black saddle hackle, some lead wire. (The last three will make a black/olive woolly bugger).

For hackle just get grizzly for the time being. The trout won't notice and it will serve the purpose of floating the fly. I have about 4 colors of hackle but thats just because I like the looks of it on the flies I tie even though I am well aware it probably doesn't affect it's fish catching powers. Look for a brand called Keough. I'm not sure if that's available where you live but you can get a grizzly cape for $25 or $30 if I remember right. It would be the Tyer's grade cape. It works fine especially for the price and will get you started.

I also recommend the H & H half necks from Hook & Hackle. At $15 apiece they are a really good deal. I've purchased a few of these over the last couple of years and am very happy with them. I refuse to pay megabucks for hackle.

2 words....Peacock herl! Trout will bite almost anything wraped with it.

Don't wast the money on eyes or whole feathers, get strung/bundled package of around 8" long strands....it will go a long way and help on strikes.

Genetic strings or partial necks are a budget way of getting feathers...if you take care you will get up to 10 flies per feather. The griz suggestion is best, maybe get a small pack of fire (or coachman) brown as well for brighter patterns.

a nice turkey tail feather can be used for tails,legs, anttenea, and wing/thorax cases as well as a pheasant tail feather...if you catch hobby-lobby this weekend you get one Ph. for under a buck and save that gift cert. for hooks from cabelas. They even have packs of copper and brass beads to make nymphs for 2/3 off this week. I was loading up last night. 6 bags for about 200 total for $5.27. They are a good place to look for some substitute materials and get them for a fraction of tying shops or mail order.

They will even give you samples of some yarns for checking the color...they are about 2" long and just enough to tie a couple of flies...just don't ask for more than a few sample peices per visit. My motto...if it is for free it is for me...someday that will catch me... :rolleyes:

2 words....Peacock herl! Trout will bite almost anything wraped with it.

Don't wast the money on eyes or whole feathers, get strung/bundled package of around 8" long strands....it will go a long way and help on strikes.

I have to agree on the Peacock Herl you can tie so meny diffrent flies . I strip mine and tie Quill Gordons.

Also you can't go wrong with Hare's ear dubbing some Zonker strips and some elk hair .

don't forget thread and wire(gold). Just this little Bunch of stuff will get you on your way to tying some usefull Trout Flies.