Fly Tying
Dart

Orange Hare's Ear Soft Hackle

That's a great looking fly. I like the addition of the orange thorax to an otherwise very typical tie. Nice job. Very nice execution too!

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. They mean a lot coming from such distinguished tyers. It has been brought to my attention that this is not a traditional "spider" pattern as was represented in the book I was going by. I've submitted a request to change the pattern name to "Orange Hare's Ear Soft Hackle" since I'm unable to edit it.

Thanks for giving me a history lesson as well as words of encouragement. They are both appreciated. :D

nice work, Dart. Great for trout and the gills. Love stipping soft hackles for the big bulls right before they get on the nest.

That's a good looking fly, a real fish magnet. I've tied a similar fly using hare's ear, partridge, and a bright pink thorax. Brookies won't leave it alone. Thanks for posting.

A bright pink thorax, eh? I'll have to see what I can dig up, sounds like it'd be pretty.

What is the technique for seperating the rachis from the shaft without tearing it. How dureable are the collars when tied in this way? Nice tie...

I'm not sure what you mean by "separating the rachis from the shaft." The feather was left in tact. The way I'm tying soft hackles now is by far more durable IMO. It may be Monday, but I'll try to get some pics up of what I do. If you tie in by the stem and wrap backwards toward the bend (with the thread toward the rear), you tie off in the back and wrap the thread forward over all wraps of the rachis and tie off in front.

The way I did it before was to tie the tip in (unless you used good thread and were at 95% of max tension, the hold on the feather was questionable). Then I'd wrap forward (with the thread on the eye) and tie off the thickest part of the stem at the eye. This left a small bit of stem to tie in and no overwrapping along with a larger head. IMO, this method is much better.