Fly Tying
stream

Book on nymph's and terrestial's

it only covers techniques not patterns. if your looking for patterns this book isnt for you.

For nymphs, it's hard to beat Kauffman's Tying Nymphs which shows how to tye about 30 nymphs (and gives the patterns of over than a hundred more.) Barr's Barr Flies gives excellent detailed directions on tying many of his flies. (Lots of nymphs and larvae, and one dandy hopper.)

I don't have a book devoted entirely to terrestrials. My favourite tying book, Hughe's Trout Flies, includes two chapters containing tying instructions for 5 ants, 3 beetles, and 7 grasshoppers and crickets. Pfeiffer's Tying Warmwater Flies includes tying instructions for mice, frogs, ants, hoppers, and beetles.

Ed Koch & Harrison Steeves have a Terrestrials manual. Steeves' was tying with Krenik back in the 80's & Ed has a couple of excellent books on Midges that I've had for years. The manual should be first rate based on their combined expertise ; even though I don't have a copy :headbang:

this is good to know i got some pattern books but they show some techinques and one fly of each style not helpful if you don't know the techniques

Another vote for Kaufman's Tying Nymphs, and John Barr's Barr Flies . Both books have some of the best step by step photographs and narrative for every technique used in the patterns, and help with material selection and fishing techniques of the patterns covered, as well as general tying tips too.

If you're interested in "going paper-less" you'll find some amazing work here on the site on the Step by Step forum...this board community has some very talented tiers!!! :headbang: . I'm sure with a little time searching you could find a tutorial for just about any pattern or technique, or one you could easily mimic and adapt.

Before I found FTF, the only source of such quality work I knew of was over on Charlie's fly box which has an ever-expanding collection of photo tutorials on some of his favorite patterns.

tight lines-

Bob

Ed Koch & Harrison Steeves book is excellant - lots of background on the why's of patterns. Not sure how old the book is, but I've had mine for a number of years, and refer to it on a regular basis.

Kaufman's book is more of a step by step pattern style, and very good. Any of Kaufman's books are also very well done; great pictures and expainations of the steps in tying the patterns.

You can't go wrong with either of these books.

John Barr's book "Barr Flies" is great. I just received it as a gift from my son and I am really impressed with the photos, instructions, fishing instructions, etc... Kaufman's is also good.

Rob

I too like the terrestrial book. Good stuff there. However, this book is mostly about the terrestrials and recipes. It is not a true step by step. I would also recommend the Tying with Foam, Fur and Feathers as well as The Art of Tying the Nymph by Skip Morris. He always does a good job. Also check out the book Nymph Fly-Tying Techniques by Jim Schollmeyer. It has over 1000 color photos. Hope this helps.