Fly Tying
Dart

Popper Swap

So Chris... I actually looked CLOSELY at the silver eyed popper and I didn't realize it was the EXACT one that you fished. So I guess when you said it was the "first" popper you tied, you meant it was THE first popper, not the first pattern? I just assumed you meant with that color scheme, it was the first among that group.

It's cool to look at it and think of what must be the history behind it. There is a little knot of tippet still tied to the hook, and a slight bit of rust... and I LOVE it. This fly definitely has character. I'm honored that you sent it to me. I don't know if we have anything around here big enough to eat it, but I'll definitely borrow my brother's 8wt and give it a shot!

look here BDH dont you have some prisoner to abuse or something more constructive to do? :D

He was typing that to you as he had his #14 up a prisoners ass he is multi talented :hyst:

That wont surprise me!

Alright well the bodies are done. Hopefully tomorrow I will have some time after my homework to tie some tails, legs and hackle on them. Let me know what you all think.

post-10276-1269828353_thumb.jpg

look here BDH dont you have some prisoner to abuse or something more constructive to do? :D

He was typing that to you as he had his #14 up a prisoners ass he is multi talented :hyst:

Paul, you know me all to well, my friend!

No Dart, it wasn't the first popper, but it's the first balsa popper in that scheme. Tied it several years ago. It's a BEAST on my smallie waters and frog ponds. Hope you take some good ones on it. You can chuck it with a 4 1/2 ft leader of 10 lb tippet with a 6 wt. It ain't pretty, but the smacking effect of the splash down is often a great plus for popper fishing anyway.

No Dart, it wasn't the first popper, but it's the first balsa popper in that scheme. Tied it several years ago. It's a BEAST on my smallie waters and frog ponds. Hope you take some good ones on it. You can chuck it with a 4 1/2 ft leader of 10 lb tippet with a 6 wt. It ain't pretty, but the smacking effect of the splash down is often a great plus for popper fishing anyway.

4 1/2' leaders? I've never heard of anything that short! (Insert obligatory joke about BDH's manhood here). I have some 2x tippet, that should do the trick. I ordered some more popper bodies today... and some marabou in different colors for the tails, so I'll have some more bream poppers to paint soon. I've taken a couple days off, but I'll get back to playing with the tailing on this frog popper probably tomorrow.

Sure, short leaders will accomodate for the lighter rod, 5.5 to 6 ft would be prime length...I rarely fish a bass leader longer than 5 ft when popper fishing with any outfit, especially if I'm fishing heavy cover. Bass are not typically leader shy, except those rare ,heavily pressured fish in clear waters. When I'm nymphing or streamer fishing I will use a 7 or 8, or even 9 ft leader, but with poppers, often shorter is better. The Plueger Trion series of rods are very economical rods. The Trion 7 wt is a great smallie rod, and a good popper rod for small and medium poppers/divers. Redington Crosswater is another great, economical rod for popper action. I think I paid like $60 for a 9 wt that has a nice action and flips big bugs. Just two of many cheaper rods with good actions for popper fishing. If you're looking for an inexpensive "in" to a popper outfit, that may be the way to go. St Croix's entire line of entry rods in 8 and 9 wts are great bass rods as well. Have taken many bass with an Imperial and a black popper.

I've decided on a color scheme for my first swap popper. I'm not sure what I'll do for the other poppers yet. I hope you guys like it!

IMG_3956.JPG

Ok the wounded minnows are ready, bare in mind when a minnow begins to die or is injured, they normally come up to surface (head to the surface, tail down 45% angle) as if they are trying to suck air? if you will, so these are meant to sit in the water colum in the same manner, in the surface, give em a try guys, Oh ya, I need an addy

Don't know if I want to fish it, or hang on to it since it's a Derington fly. Tough decision....ah, who am I kiddin'?! We all know I'm gonna chuck the hell outta this fly!