Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TOM PRUETT

The Spool Safe

If you don't get a response, just buy 1 and test it out. If your expectations are met, you can buy the 5 others. I personally don't use it and put all my threads into one of those plastic drawers. For 3 bucks you can't go wrong... right?

Dude, that is some serious $$$ to spend for spool storage. Do you have the space for six of those?

I have a wooden thread holder from Wal-Mart ($10) on my desk (holds 60 spools) I keep the most used threads on bobbins (6). the rest I keep in a plastic container in a drawer.

ONE Spool Safe will keep 40 spools at the ready. I would think that keeping 80 spools in these would be plenty of access to spooled materials. All your extra spools could more easily be kept in a drawer or shoe box container. You more than likely don't have the boxes the thread came in. These would hold 12 spools and you could mark the boxes as to what size and color thread, wire, tinsel, floss, or yarn was in them. I keep all my extra spooled material in 4X4X1" boxes. these are clear plasic that I label for thread size, or wire, or floss. Since I can see inside, I know what colors are in any box. I have about 6 for thread, 3 for floss, 2 for tinsel, and one for wire. The Spool Safe will keep your working spooled material handy, and organized, and also keep loose ends from getting too far astray.

That quilting store rack would work.

i must be frugal or cheap but i use the sterlite plastic shoe boxes from walmart for .97 cents. keeps the dust from collecting on stuff too

1642_LG.jpg

i'd rather spend my money on high quality materials

I'm not sure of the price, but the Uni-Box Store System might be an option for you. Search for Uni-Box Store System on the page, I can't get a direct link to it for you. I think they might sell just the boxes for the thread too, which in the end would likely take up less space than 6 of those safes. Everyone has their own needs and wants, and buy want you need/want!

Notenof,

You should check out needlepoint supply shops. Tons of great wool, silk, rayon, and velvet threads. Very Velvet is the same as ultra chenille, and comes in 50 colors.

I have a wooden thread holder from Wal-Mart ($10) on my desk (holds 60 spools) I keep the most used threads on bobbins (6). the rest I keep in a plastic container in a drawer.

I use the same thread holder from Wal Mart. I mounted mine to the wall to get it off of my desk.