Fly Tying
smallieFanatic

"Amazing Facts Thread"

the average human eats 5 spiters a year in there sleep

the electric chair was inventide by a dentist

the average human eats 5 spiters a year in there sleep

the electric chair was inventide by a dentist

Since I was not given a new topic....

Mazda Miata.....Mazda decided not to produce Miatas in 1998 for sale in North America. i.e. there is no such thing as a 1998 Miata.

Next topic:

Kidney Transplant-

Oxyhydrogen is a mixture of hydrogen (H2) and oxygen (O2) gases, typically in a 2:1 molar ratio, the same proportion as water.[1] This gaseous mixture is used for torches for the processing of refractory materials and was the first gaseous mixture used for welding. In practice a ratio of 4:1 or 5:1 hydrogen:oxygen is required to avoid an oxidizing flame

If utilized for fuel for cars it need to be noted that the most prevalent greenhouse gas in our atmosphere will grow immensely. The exhaust from hho gas is water vapor. Water vapor is the most common green house gas.

Next subject: CNG (compressed natural gas)

Hey Moab stay in line you skipped a topic sheesh!

Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) is a fossil fuel substitute for gasoline (petrol), diesel, or propane fuel. Although its combustion does produce greenhouse gases, it is a more environmentally clean alternative to those fuels, and it is much safer than other fuels in the event of a spill (natural gas is lighter than air, and disperses quickly when released). CNG may also be mixed with biogas, produced from landfills or wastewater, which doesn't increase the concentration of carbon in the atmosphere.

CNG is made by compressing natural gas (which is mainly composed of methane [CH4]), to less than 1% of its volume at standard atmospheric pressure. It is stored and distributed in hard containers, at a normal pressure of 200–248 bar (2900–3600 psi), usually in cylindrical or spherical shapes.

next topic: harley davidson

Harley Davidson was the name of my brother's first English bulldog. "Harley" was a great dog. He often laid sprawled on the concrete floor of a local bike shop while my brother and his buds rebuilt bikes. He wore a black paisely bandana and had military dog tags with his information, even his religious preference (Methodist). He also had a tatto.....in his ear, a tracking number. He was in the shop the night of a chimney fire. Firefighters, being familiar with the dog, gave Harley CPR and oxygen and resucitated him. The shop was a total loss, but was later rebuilt. The hair on his ears was burned off by the intense heat and never grew back. He loved children and little old ladies and drooled when kids petted him. He was a good dog.

Next topic: Sensory Deprivation

Sensory deprivation or perceptual isolation is the deliberate reduction or removal of stimuli from one or more of the senses. Simple devices such as blindfolds or hoods and earmuffs can cut off sight and hearing respectively, while more complex devices can also cut off the sense of smell, touch, taste, thermoception (heat-sense), and 'gravity'. Sensory deprivation has been used in various alternative medicines and in psychological experiments.

Short-term sessions of sensory deprivation are described as relaxing and conducive to meditation, however, extended or forced sensory deprivation can result in extreme anxiety, hallucinations, bizarre thoughts, depression and death.

Next Subject: Citizen Robespierre

You got me on that one Jan, I've never even heard of the next topic... do I smell a learning opprotunity?

:shifty:

I'll give you a hint.....he was deeply entrenched in the French Revolution...his first name was Maximilian....now c'mon I'm waiting for a mind blowing fact.....:shifty:

Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre (6 May 1758 – 28 July 1794) is one of the best-known and most influential figures of the French Revolution. He largely dominated the Committee of Public Safety and was instrumental in the period of the Revolution commonly known as the Reign of Terror, which ended with his arrest and execution in 1794.

Robespierre was influenced by 18th century Enlightenment philosophes such as Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Montesquieu, and he was a capable articulator of the beliefs of the left-wing bourgeoisie. He was described as being physically unimposing and immaculate in attire and personal manners. His supporters called him "The Incorruptible", while his adversaries called him the "Tyrant" and dictateur sanguinaire (bloodthirsty dictator).

next topic: carbon dating

Radiocarbon dating, or carbon dating, is a radiometric dating method that uses the naturally occurring radioisotope carbon-14 (14C) to determine the age of carbonaceous materials up to about 58,000 to 62,000 years.

However, as a side note, there are many cases to support the fact that Carbon dating is not very reliable for accurate dates. This is so because of a number of reasons. I would be happy to elaborate on that via PM if anybody finds fault with this ;)

Next Topic: Navy SEAL's

Topic: Navy SEALs

Almost immediatley after WWI, the DoD (Department of Defense) knew that wars in the future could not be in the same venue as trench warfare such as the Phony War. That being said, it started forming special ops groups such as the Green Berets, Navy SEALs, and Delta Force.

The Navy SEALs played an integral role in Operation Torch in North Africa against a expiditionary force known as the Afrika Korps led my Erwin "Desert Fox" Rommel. Another fun fact is that Rommel was the only Nazi Commander that was not tried and persecuted in the war crime trials. Also, Rommel had a growing hate for Hitler and even took part in a conspiracy to assassinate das Fuhrer.

The SEALs initiated in sea to land, air to land, and air to sea combat during their North African campaign.

Next Topic: Hubble Ultra Deep Feild

The Hubble Ultra Deep Field (HUDF) is an image of a small region of space in the constellation Fornax, composited from Hubble Space Telescope data accumulated over a period from September 24, 2003 through to January 16, 2004. It is the deepest image of the universe ever taken by humans. The HUDF image was taken in a section of the sky with a low density of bright stars in the near-field, allowing much better viewing of dimmer, more distant objects. The image contains an estimated 10,000 galaxies.

Next Subject: Deep Sea Water Pressure

post-17709-1274126357_thumb.jpg

For every 10m in depth the pressure in sea water is raised by approximately one atmosphere. At sea level that pressure translates to 14.7 psi at 5000m it is roughly 479 atmospheres or 7304.16 psi.

Calculation tool for pressure in sea water: http://www.calctool.org/CALC/other/games/depth_press

Next topic: sound transmission in water