Fly Tying
Robert M

Would you join a swap that is going for a World Record of Tyers?

Would you join a swap to set a world record?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well would you? It would have to be more than 100 flies because I participated in Byard Millers Caddis Swap in 99 I believe and that was hundred flies I still have every one of them too.

not sure that is why i put maybe. 100 flies is quite a lot to tie. maybe if you had each person tie 25 flies and in turn each person got 1/4 of the fly that was cut in forths JK. lol. aside from all kidding i would do it if you did not have to tie 100 flies not even sure if that would be possible but you could try!

What's the record?

I'd need to know the magic number. That's why I put maybe.

-D

The largest swap I know of was 100 flies Byard Miller's 99 Caddis Swap held by the Virtual Flybox website, if anyone knows of a large swap that can be confirmed please let me know.

Guinness does not have a category for this and may not even accept it as a record.

So 100+ of the same pattern would be the magic number. Probably 110 to 150

Flies would need to be smaller patterns hook sizes 10 to 20 maybe

Just getting ideas as to whether this could be pulled off even if the record is just kept in the flyfishing community.

I was in the 99 caddis swap also. It really wasn't too bad, we had plenty of time to complete the tie.

I wonder what happened to the Virtual Fly Shop. A search doesn't show that much info about Mr. Miller.

I probably wouldn't participate unless it was done in the winter. Too busy in the summer. I also have the box and all the flies but can't find the list of tyers. I probably thought it would always be available on the web site if needed.

I was in the 99 caddis swap also. It really wasn't too bad, we had plenty of time to complete the tie.

I wonder what happened to the Virtual Fly Shop. A search doesn't show that much info about Mr. Miller.

I probably wouldn't participate unless it was done in the winter. Too busy in the summer. I also have the box and all the flies but can't find the list of tyers. I probably thought it would always be available on the web site if needed.

Same predicament I'm in I wonder if someone on the FF@ list has it will have to check.

Tying a lot flies from the same pattern is good for the soul; tis said you start to understand a pattern only after you tie a ten dozen of them :)

I would go for it if someone puts in the time and effort to make the swap work and publicize the effort so that it goes off with a bang! :gun_bandana:

J.

I voted maybe.

I think tying 100 flies is crazy, especially if it means you get back 99 variations of that type of fly.

In stead of going for the most flies tied for a swap, how about the most number of tiers.

So, try to get 100 tiers, to tie something like 20 flies each, and then you get 19 flies back from 19 of the 100 tiers, not 99 from every other tier. I think that could be easier, because you're not asking "tie 100 flies" but simply asking "join my 'tie anything' swap so we can get as many tiers as possible."

I think it's harder to get 20 guys to tie 100 flies than it is to get 100 guys to tie 20 flies.

good luck!

I voted maybe.

I think tying 100 flies is crazy, especially if it means you get back 99 variations of that type of fly.

In stead of going for the most flies tied for a swap, how about the most number of tiers.

So, try to get 100 tiers, to tie something like 20 flies each, and then you get 19 flies back from 19 of the 100 tiers, not 99 from every other tier. I think that could be easier, because you're not asking "tie 100 flies" but simply asking "join my 'tie anything' swap so we can get as many tiers as possible."

I think it's harder to get 20 guys to tie 100 flies than it is to get 100 guys to tie 20 flies.

good luck!

I agree that it would not be easy to get 100+ tyers to tie up the same type of fly, but if you broaden the fly type it may work. I don't think it is possible to get that many tyers from any one board, forum, list or site I think this would have to take a lot of word of mouth etc. to get the tyers needed to pull off the swap. I also think there would have to be prizes, sponsers etc to keep that many people motivated to do this type swap.

First I guess it would be best to define what a "Fly Swap" is my take on the matter is that a typical or traditional flyswap is to tie one fly for each participant of one pattern that fits the swap theme. Do we agree on this? I know there are tons of variations but is this basic premise for a fly swap?

As I stated before I have been in one swap in 1998 on the VFB (now gone from the internet) and FF@ (still around and kicking http://www.uky.edu/~agrdanny/flyfish/main.htm ) sites that consisted of 100 tyers tying 100 flies to the caddis theme. The tying part wasn't that bad but my eyes were better then too. :o It took several months but it got pulled off and was a resounding success. I was in another swap in 2000 that did 75 flies (I thought it was 100 because that is how many I ties of my pattern) it was also a trout themed swap it did not run as smoothly as the other (late swappers) but it finally got finished. So the idea is doable but the internet is much different from back then, it is more scattered with tons of forums that are more geared towards the type/location/style of fishing or tying that most do.

no.

most swaps cant get 12 swappers to send in their flies on time let alone 100 swappers sending in their flies