Fly Tying
camoham

Out of all my years of fishing!

well,

out of all my years of fishing, ive never hooked myself until this past sunday.

fishing local stream. caught tree for second time. pulled line and limb............cant remember what let go. end result, size 10 bull creek craw in my right hand pinky finger (palm side of finger 3rd pad closet to palm).

calmly drove self home. had wife assist in pushing barb rest of the way through finger. alcohol on wound site. i had her practice snipping the barb off another hook prior to 'snipping' the real deal. slipped hook back out, more alcohol. anti-biotic band-aid after the blood quit gushing.

one day later, not really sore.

thought id share this.............hopefully someone else can get a good laugh out of it.

camoham

Nothing funny about a hook in the hand....have done it myself on several occasions, although never to the degree that you experienced. Hope you heal up quick ;)

No its not fun I'm just glad you made it without any real damage. Also you and your wife treated the situations very professionally, well done.

So far I haven't stung myself with the fly I'm fishing with but it creeps me out a little bit knowing it is bound to happen sooner or later. That's another advantage of using barbless hooks.

I've done that about twice, and i just take a piece of heavier line wrap the line around the bend and pull hard.

I've done that about twice, and i just take a piece of heavier line wrap the line around the bend and pull hard.

That made me whimper just reading it. Having removed many nasty ones in the ER I've found it best to push through and either crush the barb or chop it off before removing just like you did camoham. You can numb it up a bit with some ice to ease the pain if you like.

I sympathize. Last weekend I was out with my father-in-law and got a trout on a mirro-lure. When I reached down to grab him he flopped and one of the trebles pierced my pinky fingernail at the base and into the flesh. The fish flopped again and fell off while the plug was fixed to my finger. Luckily the barb didn't pierce all the way through my nail so my father-in-law was able to jiggle the plug free. It bled a bit and left a little hole in my nail but it could have been worse. I've hooked myself a few times but this the first time I got one in the fingernail. It goes without saying that it hurt like hell.

That made me whimper just reading it. Having removed many nasty ones in the ER I've found it best to push through and either crush the barb or chop it off before removing just like you did camoham. You can numb it up a bit with some ice to ease the pain if you like.

I never gotten it so bad that i had to go to the ER,

You just discovered the #1 reason to fish barbless all the time. I've hooked myself a few times. I mash barbs down 100% of the time, and never had a problem.

Why Fish Barbless :headbang:

-better hookup ratio

-easier to remove from yourself :rolleyes:

-keeps fish hooked if you know how to properly play them.

i have heard of the heavy mono trick. it got so much fame when i was in my gear chucking bass years bassmaster had an article on it. works great if you know how to do it. if not :crying:

reminds me of another thing. why never to use trebels :wallbash:

Wasting beer on a wound! ptf!

I remove my 2/0 implements with my teeth and never let it stop the fishing. Blood in the river is like chum!

Actually I'm kidding Ive never hooked myself (other than while tying)

yep, evaluating the injury streamside...........i resisted the urge to yank it out. it wasnt going anywhere by simple testing. it took a lot of patience to calmly deduce that would create a heckuva wound.

i figured a simple in-out injury in the end would be less painful.............although i wont lie comming back out was no fun at all. thank god the wife has nice nails to push on each side of the barb.

still good to go today. 2 red dots with no pain or swelling.

yep ill be fishing barbless from now on for the above listed reasons (fishboy). if hooked really good i would not suggest the pressure/line yankiing method. just my two cents.

this injury was not 'stuck' but rather honestly 'hooked'. about 3/4ths the hook/bend was gone inside the pinky.

for what its worth my son said "rub some dirt on it" (thats what i always tell him)

camoham

I buried a #6 salmon hook in my upper arm last year in a wind storm and would definitely say that pushing the barb through and cutting the hook is the best way to take em out.

I was way in the woods the day it happened and didn't have wire cutters in my backpack (do now) so i just clipped the leader, tied on another fly and kept fishing. On my way out i met up with a couple fella's and one says "hey, did you know you have a fly in your arm?" I said fur patches on vests are for pansies, i keep mine in my arm! Heeeeeeere's your sign

I teach a couple of tying classes in conjunction with the Outdoor Ministry at church. I give the same reason as FishyboY has given for mashing the barbs. I also recommend wearing some sort of eye protection. My father hooked himself once. Just our luck he buried two treble hooks in his forearm. Talk about fun getting two out!

I had a flood in the basement and its finshed we removed alot of stuff but fly tying stayed !! we all kinds of people in and out without anything happening ... Then when everything was done and ready to move back in the room . My son who is 4 LOOK at me and started to CRY and HELL my foot my foot and iam looking at and saying what ..where .. I remove his sock !! And theres a # 10 steamer hook right threw his foot . we even had the carpet steam cleaned !! And this still happened !! So now the boys have to where shoes in the offices!!!

It was NO FUN getting it out he'S only 4

And NOW just barbless comes in the house!!!

I never gotten it so bad that i had to go to the ER,

Think Pacific North West. Big hooks!. Treble hooks are the worst.