Fly Tying
Dart

Tying Desk Lighting

I've been using a 13w Ott Lite bulb in a 20ish year old z-bar fixture for the past year or so. I like it because it's cool and has a good color temp, but it just doesn't pump out the lumens like I'd like. I'd really like to set my bench blazing in the mid-day sun. I considered the Koncept Z-Bar LED... but without knowing how bright it actually is, that's a lot of dough to shell out.

Alternate link: http://www.konceptech.com/highpowerzbar.html

i have a big garage light over my table but want to get another one to put behind me

the ones not quite bright enough for me i want to burn out my eyes when i look at flashabou

100W halogen desk light. Now yer talkin lumens!

Heck man! I don't want to drip sweat while I'm tying! Although... That's the type of light output I'm looking for.

Guest Big E

Dart,

Have a look at Ott lamps, I'm sure they put out enough light for ya. Other than brightness, the other good thing about Otts is the color range. You should be able to get a 40% off coupon from Michaels.

I've got an Ott light, an earlier version of this Wing Shade Table Lamp by Ott. http://www.ottlite.com/p-65-wing-shade-tab...price-6999.aspx

One of my fly customers gifted it to me after I lost everything in the Katrina flood.

Its a really neat lamp, the top is a rotating visor so you don't get any light and glare in your eyes.

100W halogen desk light. Now yer talkin lumens!

Heck man! I don't want to drip sweat while I'm tying! Although... That's the type of light output I'm looking for.

LOL YOU WILL HAVE A NICE TAN :headbang: \\BURN!!!lol

Dart if you know anyone in your town in the dental field you can get some very nice color corrective lamps with retractable arms when they upgrade. Also ask your dentist if he has upgraded his composite curring lamp . The curring lamps work great on the new light activated materials .

Fred

I use an old Dazor round desk lamp magnifier with a 22 watt cool white flo tube. Very well made with three articulation points in the arm. Nice big magnifier, with different diopters available = more magnification, if you order a new one. Like the pic below but a bit older. Google Dazor magnifier to check current prices, round $225 ish. Built like a tank and will last forever. They pop up on ebay from time to time, I got mine there for $80 ish.

post-27239-1276472221_thumb.jpg

I have a nice long-armed 13W Ott with the swivel shade. The original tube only lasted about 6 months which sucked because they rate them at 10K hours. Replaced the tube and it lasted about 8 months of tying, not too many hours. The transformer "ballast" crapped out last week, and Ott will not sell parts. The LIGHT it produces is great, but that was a dam' expensive lamp for as short as it lasted. I'm not sure what I will replace my lighting with. We're moving in a month and I probably won't b tying due to the shoulder surgery until sometime after that anyhow. No way I'm spending $100+ on another Ott though. Thinking more like a couple $10 clip lights with full spectrum CFLs. I was tying when it died, and thought the tube went again. I have a spare on hand just for this... I unplugged it and almost burned my hand on the transformer. Scary. Must have had a thermal contact that had too much, or else it just melted. Unacceptable for a 13 W light.

I use a couple of Anglepoise lamps, 1 is controlled by a dimmer switch. Have tried the daylight tungsten bulbs, & they were rubbish, so now use R95's 100 watt. Very good most of the time, but I'd like more light & not to have to cook underneath them. I don't want ANY magnifying lenses to get in the way other than prescription glasses, the same applies to "sight -boards. I rarely keep the area behind the vice free from any of the clutter/materials/tools etc which would help.

I've seen a 27watt version of a table lamp, that's similar to the OTT table/reading lamp, Maplin's sell them but it looks a bit cumbersome & didn't seem to have a built in switch.

The good news with 100W halogen is that it throws out enough light that you can move it up and away enough that the heat isn't an issue even on a hot summer day. It will light your whole bench too. For tying shows I use a 50W halogen.