Fly Tying
day5

Fly or Lure?

fly or lure  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To me, if I cast it on a fly rod I tend to call it a fly...but I have heard of people slinging bait on a fly rod and that sure as heck ain't a fly! Some of my recent creations may cross that invisible line from fly to lure, though. I have been experimenting with some of those light weight plastic diving lips on streamers. I have tied a few trial patterns with them, very simple ties, and tested them in a lake last week to see if they performed as I hoped they would...and they did. Tied weightless, they would run as deep as maybe 12-15" on a floating line, nice little wiggle-shimmy when you stripped them hard. :headbang:

Trout Snobs, LOL...I am not too sure, so i looked up wikipedia and if wikipedia says this then you know it has to be true <_<

'An artificial fly or fly lure is a type of fishing lure, usually used in the sport of fly fishing (although they may also be used in other forms of angling).'

First who cares LOL if you can cast it with your flyrod cool!!!!!!!

The only problem you MIGHT run into is how Fish and Wildlife officers would consider it if you tried fishing it in a fly fish only section of a river.

cool looking tie up though

Fatman

To me a "Lure" is made to catch a fishes attention and LURE the fish to strike(hence the name). Now don't quote me on that I don't know if it's true. But don't we all tie flies to attract and lure the fish to strike our fly? we all add little triggers to lure the fish to our fly during a hatch and not the other flies around.

In the end he was just jealous that you were catching more fish.

day5, I would call it a fly. ;)

I've been in arguments about "what a fly is or isn't"! :wallbash:

Too much :bs: in this sport.

Keep doing your own thing man, call it whatever you wish! You tie some great stuff and who cares what someone else wants to call it! :thumbup:

Snobs of any kind will never get it! :thumbsdown:

I appreciate the fellas who are attempting to research and present the etymology of the term "lure," but the answer to this question isn't going to be found in any dictionary. :lol:

Clearly, it's one of those "in the eyes of the beholder" type of thing, especially judging by the split poll results thus far. I would guess it's that metal blade that's giving pause, which makes me wonder in response to those who say "it's tied" -- If you went to the store and bought a conventional spinnerbait, took it apart, and then used thread to re-attach all the parts, will you have turned a lure into a fly? Just doing my part to stir the pot. :rolleyes:

day5 -- You shouldn't have included the 3rd option but forced folks to decide between the 2 (i.e., lure vs. fly) . . . I think the results would have been more interesting instead of allowing the majority of folks to opt out or not commit.

-- Mike

The point of the 3rd option was to further point out that the snob fly fishing era is dead. It was on purpose. Id rather have a guy walk up to me on a smallie stream while I'm casting 6 inch streamers and say "hey you know there are not any trout in here right?" and "that fly sinks?" than have some guy tell me that Im ruining the sport because I use "non traditional fly tying" materials. If we all smoked pipes and whore tweed sport coats while on the river then it would be a different story. But then again I would have never picked up a fly rod if that was the case!

Flure! LOL epic!!!!! Ill use that one for sure!!!!

What? You don't wear tweed? I was told I HAD to buy one when I first went to a fly shop as a young boy. So...I DON'T have to wear it anymore?

Who said tweed isn't cool? Check this out:

post-20827-1291161099_thumb.jpg

A tweed Ipod helmet??? Why didn't I think of that?!?!?:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Totally random, I know, but I thought this was the funniest/most creative/most idiotic use of tweed I've ever seen.

oatka, better not throw out that tweed jacket just yet. At this rate, it may be worth something.

That rocks! LOL!!!

Mike you in a tweed jacket that you bought years ago...... have you seen tommy boy? LOL!!!! Richard is that your coat?

If we all smoked pipes and whore tweed sport coats while on the river then it would be a different story. But then again I would have never picked up a fly rod if that was the case!

Flure! LOL epic!!!!! Ill use that one for sure!!!!

I'm kind of curious but is it against the law to whore no matter what your wearing? :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

LOL spell check got me!!!! thats to funny!!!! So now Mike is a fat guy in a little tweed jacket on the street!!!LOL!!!