Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MVHagey

Trico Help

Tricos are a major hatch around here, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on the tail. I have never worked with such a small fly and I can not for the life of me get the microfibbets to separate like they should, they fan out or do something stupid... any tips? I have been getting so frustrated with it lately. Maybe if someone could point me to a video or something would be helpful. Thanks.

I can't refer you to a video, as I learned to tie long before they came into existence; but, I think I can give you a tip or two that might help.

When you get your thread to the bend of the hook, make sure that is flatand take two wraps of thread directly on top of the last wrap. This will create a small 'bump'. Using just two micro-fibbets, lay them directly on top of the hook, and take one loose turn around them and a second one with more tension, advancing the thread one wrap at-a-time towards the eye. You should now be able to lightly pull each fibett into its proper position, and then firmly tie them down. Works for me. And,oh how do I remember my frustration with the tails when I first started tying tricos, until I was shown this trick!

perchjerker

I can't refer you to a video, as I learned to tie long before they came into existence; but, I think I can give you a tip or two that might help.

When you get your thread to the bend of the hook, make sure that is flatand take two wraps of thread directly on top of the last wrap. This will create a small 'bump'. Using just two micro-fibbets, lay them directly on top of the hook, and take one loose turn around them and a second one with more tension, advancing the thread one wrap at-a-time towards the eye. You should now be able to lightly pull each fibett into its proper position, and then firmly tie them down. Works for me. And,oh how do I remember my frustration with the tails when I first started tying tricos, until I was shown this trick!

perchjerker

wow thanks a lot, for some reason I thought the tails would magically come apart, stupid me didn't realize you had to pull them. I just tried this and the bump helped as well, thanks again!

Both of those tutorials are fantastic, I truly mean it when I say I've been looking for a tutorial all day that uses common materials that I have, not wedding gown material, or super thin black foam or stuff like that. Thanks a million!

Both of those tutorials are fantastic, I truly mean it when I say I've been looking for a tutorial all day that uses common materials that I have, not wedding gown material, or super thin black foam or stuff like that. Thanks a million!

The splitting of the tails in step 7 and 8 of Charlies Fly Box works great and it is simple. You can split 2 or 3 fibbets easily.

Rob

Now that you know a couple of effective ways to split the tails, make them longer than you think they should be. I find a split tail 1.5 times as long as the hook works out very well. On tricos, I usually make them about 2x the hook shank, and I also make my wings (specially on spinners,) longer.

Now that you know a couple of effective ways to split the tails, make them longer than you think they should be. I find a split tail 1.5 times as long as the hook works out very well. On tricos, I usually make them about 2x the hook shank, and I also make my wings (specially on spinners,) longer.

Is that for ease of tying, or do longer tails work better for you?

I make most of my tails on most patterns (and specially tricos,)longer than most people. I read about makeing the wings and tails slightly over size in a magazine article sowmwhere. The tricos I tie work great. I also use midge flash for the wing, tail and abdomen on some trico patterns.

This is about trico patterns. I tie A. K. Best's hen hackle tip spent wing trico. The fish were going crazy and chewed off one wing but it didn't matter. They kept right on eating the the fly with one wing. In his book he says to make sure there is a plump stubby thorax like the naturals. I guess they saw the silhouette and that was the trigger.

The answer to your question is that tricos have extremely long tails for their size; therefore, a very long tail more closely mimics the natural. There are those who caution against long tails if they are made using synthetics, such as micro-fibbetts, as the material supposedly 'pricks' the trout's mouth before the fly is actually taken in, causing the trout to spit it out. I do not know how accurate this is, but, if it is a concern to you, you can use extremely long neck hackle fibers, as they are soft and flexible and should not cause such a reaction.

perchjerker

I was examining a mayfly the other day walking around on a deck, and noticed that when it is not in motion, the tail does not seperate. I stuck the mayfly in a glass of water, and the same thing seemed to hold true. i am not sure how much the mayfly and trico are similar, but if they are then i would think that the tail would also be together and not seperated as you are trying to do.

The split tails, are for more stability and to better support the wieght of the hook bend. Not to mimic the mayflies.

The split tails, are for more stability and to better support the wieght of the hook bend. Not to mimic the mayflies.

so being a little unrealistic in this situation does not mess with the siloete created by the fly?

I think if you examine a bunch of mayflies you will find most have at least some separation of the tails. Some are widely split.

Pic_Trico_Spinner.jpg