Fly Tying
Markbob

Hook Brand

Hook Brand  

250 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always just got whatever was at the fly shop in the style and size I needed. I'm just getting back into tying and ordered some Togen hooks which a friend recommended. They haven't come in yet though.

I have a lot of different brands in my hook collection, but the vast majority are Mustad. I also have some Gamakatsu's, TMC's, Daiichi, Owners, and a lot of my dry fly hooks are Orvis-packaged hooks from my local shop. I have never had any more of an issue with quality when it comes to Mustad hooks as any other brand. I have had a few hooks that should have never made it through quality control, and I don't recall any of them being Mustad's. The most recent was a 20* bent shank nymph hook from Daiichi that looked like this:

DSC_0249.jpg

I was using them to tie this carp pattern:

DSC_0243.jpg

I have a lot of different brands in my hook collection, but the vast majority are Mustad. I also have some Gamakatsu's, TMC's, Daiichi, Owners, and a lot of my dry fly hooks are Orvis-packaged hooks from my local shop. I have never had any more of an issue with quality when it comes to Mustad hooks as any other brand. I have had a few hooks that should have never made it through quality control, and I don't recall any of them being Mustad's. The most recent was a 20* bent shank nymph hook from Daiichi that looked like this:

DSC_0249.jpg

I was using them to tie this carp pattern:

DSC_0243.jpg

I have never had a bad Daiichi hook yet. I have never seen one like the one you have above, that is shocking that you received such a hook in your package.

iv lost all of my 9 salmon on the fly this year because of shi**y hooks. Is there no damn egg hook out there that can horse a big chinook in? Im using light tackle on them but it cant be that becuase than they would just come off, but the hooks are turning into hooked bars...*sigh* <_< another one lost tonight

iv lost all of my 9 salmon on the fly this year because of shi**y hooks. Is there no damn egg hook out there that can horse a big chinook in? Im using light tackle on them but it cant be that becuase than they would just come off, but the hooks are turning into hooked bars...*sigh* <_< another one lost tonight

Haven't used them but have you tried the Daiichi X510? It is a 3XS 3XH hook with their super point that was designed for that sort of fishing. Might be worth a try.

Haven't used them but have you tried the Daiichi X510? It is a 3XS 3XH hook with their super point that was designed for that sort of fishing. Might be worth a try.

Also try the egg fly hooks from gamakatsu. They are razor sharp and super strong

I guess Im just stuck on Mustad. I remember when I first started tying flies everyone used Mustad. I was told by a lot of tiers there was no other good choice. Coming back to it I just can not see using other brands. For now Im stuck on Mustad from the past, who knows I might get unstuck one of these days??

I have gotten off of the barbless hook kick and decided that I will just remove the barb from my hooks myself. But I am still sticking with the TMC. They are a bit pricey but I know what I am getting and I might be suffering from a touch of OCD.

I use any hook I need to get the fly tyed. I tend to tye mostly on barbless hooks and have for almost 40 years. Mustad 94845 being one of the most inexpensive and one I have had little problems with.

I use Mustad hooks when I need stainless. I use lots of Eagle Claw hooks for sweet water and some plated ones for salt when I tie for myself. They are reasonably strong and cheap. They are offset and I have to remove the offset but I don't find that particularly objectionable. When I need 'strong' hooks I look for Owners. I also use some Allens.

I'm not loyal. Tiemco, Kamasan, Gamakatsu, Mustad, and Daiichi are probably my top-shelf favorites. At the lower price point J. Stockard is great. I've started using Dai-Riki lately and been pretty happy, too.