Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

On 9/18/2023 at 4:34 PM, Sandan said:

A couple from last week out of a little 15' wide spring creek. On hoppers. Released after pics taken. 

image000004.jpg

IMG_6530.jpg

image000001.jpg

Beautiful fish!

On 9/18/2023 at 12:38 PM, DFoster said:

they were hitting #16 hoppers.

On 9/18/2023 at 4:34 PM, Sandan said:

A couple from last week .... On hoppers.

Its hopper season - whoo-hoo! 

Beautiful fish guys.

What was the hopper pattern of the day?  

47 minutes ago, niveker said:

Beautiful fish guys.

I don't know the name, it was one of a handful of hoppers I bought on our recent trip to Colorado.  As a fly tyer I hate to buy flies but the guide at the local fly shop out there was adamite about using hoppers and I didn't have any in my dry box.  Very basic, tightly wound yellow flash dubbing around the hook, a black 2mm foam body tied over that in 3 segments.  6 tan, barred rubber legs and a white antron yarn wing. Floats like a cork. 

Honestly though I think that day almost any modest sized terrestrial dry fly would have worked.  The stream is a small tributary into a larger river and overgrown.  Tough, tight quarters casting combined with what are mostly small trout means it is generally ignored by most.  

IMG_9146.JPG

IMG_9148.JPG

Yesterday I knew I would be working in an area a 20 minute ride from that same stream.   I threw my trout vest, a short 3 weight .  I hooked 5 with 3 reaching the net.  They're not large but there is satisfaction in being able to catch wild trout in places where most get frustrated. 

IMG_E9152.JPG

IMG_E9156.JPG

IMG_E9161.JPG

1 minute ago, niveker said:

Dam - I am truly envious - LoL.  

You just got to make time to get out because it's going to be a long winter!

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Beautiful fish guys.

Gartside pheasant hopper and a Charlie Craven Baby Charlie Boy and finally a parachute hopper. Body color of either yellow or green.Tying the Pheasant Hopper CHARLIE BOY HOPPERschroeder's parachute hopper from www.flyfishfood.com

We had a lot of rain on Friday, I went fishing late afternoon yesterday and the river was up a foot and ripping. The only real option was an across and down presentation.  Even that proved difficult as the locations I could wade to were very limited.  I did manage to catch this one brown on a marabou muddler pattern.  Not a big fish but because the take was 60' downstream from me in fast water so it was a long hard fight.

1187860451_QUINEBAUGWESTVILLE10-1-231.thumb.JPG.66c1f89314a253a6c7e8958edefdd1bf.JPG

130095700_QUINEBAUGWESTVILLE10-1-23.thumb.JPG.401b044416d610bfd00f113828897e5b.JPG

Nice fish, DF. 

Not sure I would have fished any of the rivers I've been driving past the past few days since Fridays rains.  Nice job getting out and being successful.  

On 10/2/2023 at 8:59 AM, niveker said:

Nice fish, DF. 

Not sure I would have fished any of the rivers I've been driving past the past few days since Fridays rains.  Nice job getting out and being successful.  

Thanks Kevin- with all the rain we've had this year I've gotten pretty good at "down and across"  LOL!

Beautiful pics DF, I wish I lived closer to trout streams here, but I’ve recently discovered a local river has excellent smallmouth and pike. It’s only a few miles from home as opposed to 150 miles to my favorite trout stream. It’s really been fun fishing this river this late summer! I’ll add the Murdich minnow has proved to be awesome for these fish.

Mike.

20231004_121050.jpeg

20230923_101411.jpeg

Edited by partsman
Needed to add fly pattern

10 hours ago, partsman said:

discovered a local river has excellent smallmouth and pike

Nice fish. Over the last few seasons I've really come to appreciate smallmouth fishing more and more, making it a close second to trout fishing.