Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

I know they arent monsters, but bass and sunfish are fun for me. Pretty Red Eared Sunfish, too!

2D3663A7-4063-4D70-B870-6179B3FAB3B1.jpeg

The only fish caught on a recent trip to south Fl. Got this spotted gar to take a flashy rabbit strip fly. You can barely see it in the end of his snout. Did some canal fishing for peacocks and others and was hoping to do some fishing for tarpon and snook later. Unfortunately car troubles and an incompetent Toyota service dept made that impossible. Maybe next year.

Thought yall might like to see the Python I removed too!

6807DE30-C438-42B6-9E9E-B082A8E577AE.jpeg

A gar like that can put a good bend in your rod. Rare, to get one in hand, since they can so easily cut the line.

Thank you for removing the snake. Much as I love 'em ... the pythons and boas in the 'Glades have got to go !!!

Did you keep that one? Or are you going to make a belt?

attachicon.gif 2D3663A7-4063-4D70-B870-6179B3FAB3B1.jpeg

The only fish caught on a recent trip to south Fl. Got this spotted gar to take a flashy rabbit strip fly. You can barely see it in the end of his snout. Did some canal fishing for peacocks and others and was hoping to do some fishing for tarpon and snook later. Unfortunately car troubles and an incompetent Toyota service dept made that impossible. Maybe next year.

Thought yall might like to see the Python I removed too!

attachicon.gif 6807DE30-C438-42B6-9E9E-B082A8E577AE.jpeg

Two very unusual catches. Both are useful to knife makers like vicente and I , the gar skin is nice for knife handles and the snake skins (of course) are useful for sheaths. You could go into "bidness"

Wow, yes, they are. Mikechell posted a video a while ago (might have been like 6 months or more) and he holds one close to the camera that is very dark as well. I had never seen them like that. Very cool!

Those are some nice bass! I love casting "bluegill flies" and having a few pounds of bass blow up on them. That last one is a "Flier" Pretty one too. Dark water, dark 'Gills.

2-21-16 (3).JPG

I've got some of those (almost) black 'Gills on my home computer.

Those fish were caught in Eastern NC in the "Black Water" creeks. The water is pretty much Gin clear,but, the soil down there is very rich and almost black. The water is full of Tannins due to the soil,so the bigger fish are really dark. You really cant see it in these photos,but the bellies on most of the really dark fish are almost a fluorescent orange. They are really pretty fish.

That larger bass I estimated somewhere between 3-5 pounds. I caught it almost directly from the ramp where I put the kayak in. It was my 3rd cast of the day. It was a pretty good pull on a 5wt rod.

You are correct about the Flier. The creeks down there are full of them,along with Bowfin. The Bowfins are ugly,but,will smash a fly and are also a very nice pull on a 5 wt,especially ones over 5 lbs.

I just love the black ones.

Thanks Phil, my wife has made it her mission to find me the coolest suspenders. See you in a few weeks.

Yeah that gar was a blast for sure. I have that python as well as a couple of others in the freezer. Not sure what Ill do with them quite yet.

These are from past trips, years ago ... but they are some of the darkest 'Gills.

North tract CNB 5-8-13.JPG

St. Johns River 8-17-13 2.JPG

P4280004.JPG

Maddog ... have you ever fished (or heard of) Brice Creek? Used to be my favorite water when I was stationed at Cherry Point.