Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
notenuftoys

Trying to decide on 9wt rod

I'm looking to get a 9wt set up for largemouth bass (to turn over the big deer hair flies) and get down to the Texas coast for some inshore fishing next year. I'm trying to stay in the $500-$550 range for rod and reel, and of course, I want it all!

I have my eye on a TFO BVK with an Orvis Hydros reel (sealed drag), but I'm not yet sold on it. I talked to an Orvis dealer today, and he suggested the Access rod. Is that too soft to chunking deer hair flies? It's an extremely light rod which is attractive. What about the saltwater rods from Rise Fishing?

Any other suggestions?

I have the TFO 9wt Signature (I think its Lefty's signature rod). I got it a few years ago so I don't know if they still make that model but it was only $115 or in that neighborhood. It is a two piece and is a really great redfish rod.

Kirk

I have a 8 wt TFO Clouser Series, and i love it. I matched it up with a Lamson Konic reel and some heavy bass fly line to get the flies out there.

She worked good i like it a lot.

Isnt the orvis made overseas now and know there are better rods out there in same price range. Look at the Scotts A4 series as they are great rod for the money.

Don't overlook the Echo Ion rod. They're a real bang for your buck. ;)

I second this, I picked up a demo Echo Ion this fall for $100. At that price I couldn't go wrong.

The clouded rod is really nice but you could still get a nice rod and save a lot of money if you buy the redington pursuit. Great for fresh And salt.

I also have a TFO 8wt Clouser series ( i think) and a lamson konic reel. Love it for small mouth, large mouth, and pike up here in Michigan. I throw some big flys and haven't had a problem yet! Another plus, its on its way UPS to Florida for my upcoming fishing trip!

This is a very subjective question, there are a lot of great outfits and an everyone has their favorite. My personal recommendation would be an 8wt TFO TiCR-X rod, Lamson Konic reel, over-lined with a 9wt bass bug line (Orvis has/had a "big bug" line on sale for $34, a great value IMO). The St. Croix Legend Ultra is another great choice. Good luck.

Tom

I have a 9wt that is 9' 6" that I love. It is a graphite Payne made in Stowe, VT in 1988 maybe. I bought it at the factory. I use a Pflueger 1498DA (made in Akron, OH) for freshwater and a TFO Prism 9-11 wt reel for saltwater. I used it for a lot of salmon in Pulaski on the Salmon River, redfish, blues, Spanish, gar, stripers, steelhead and bass. I haven't found a new rod that casts like it.

I bought it and it broke the second steelhead I caught a very cold January day. Payne had no paperwork with the rod. I called the factory. They said you didn't need a Vermont lawyer to figure out your rights send the SOB back. (a knock at Orvis) I sent it back. It took them six months to send it back to me. They called me like we were dating telling me how they made a custom blank, what I wanted done. They even put my initials in the nickle silver. The rod has a real small cork grip, it seems like a 10 wt when you have a fish on, tremendous backbone. It casts like an 8wt casting 10 wt line.

No it's not for sale.

All of the TFO rods are very good values (and if you break one or need repair/replacement... they're much less money in fees with a very quick turnaround from Texas...). I have two of them on my skiff, a 9 and a 10wt. You might want to get a close look at the TICR-X model if salt and larger bugs are going to be the intended use. I very happy with the ones my anglers use. The TICR-X is a bit odd at first since it has a much stronger butt section than you'd expect. Give it a try with a big, bulky fly and you'll appreciate it.

As far as reels go, I'm mostly using Nautilus these days and highly recommend them. If you're considering a used, high end reel, then the only choice is a Billy Pate Salmon for an 8wt or a Bonefish for a 9 or 10wt. You can find them in very good used condition for $300 or a bit less and the reel will never fail you (unless you run over it with a truck...). The Billy Pates are solid enough to pass on to the next generation and still be in very good condition. I like the direct drive models (which aren't being built anymore). For anyone not familiar with them the Pate reels were the first generation of Tibor reels and are built down here in south Florida (like the Nautilus)....

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

I use the Orvis Access... It's a great rod. Have a 7wt for steelhead and a 5wt for bass... Very light weight...Also, dont forget to check out the warranty.