Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Bobbins

I've been using a Griffin wishbone with a ceramic insert for a long time. I simply adjust the wishbone for the tension I want. I usually set it up fairly light for use with 8/0 thread and when I switch to a 6/0 I take a turn or two of thread around one arm of the wishbone. This adds a little more tension without overtensioning the thread.

It's worked well for me. If you give it a try, let me know how it works for you.

I actually like the Material Bobbins from Cabelas, they just have a larger diameter tube. It allows me to "thread" the thread without using wire to pull it through. I haven't had any problems.

I did a search on Ekich Bobbins no one had anything bad to say about them, Canadian product sells for around $100.00 canadian dollars. there web site was down I wanted to see what they looked like.Will try again later.

adam

I have purchased and tried almost all of the bobins on the market over the last 30 years.

My favorites are the old Matarelli with standard short tube and the automatic rewind by Norm Norlander.

Regards,

Fred Krow

I use the ruby tipped Renzetti bobbins. Really like them and are priced around 17 - 20 bucks depending on where purchase.

Cheers -- Hansen

My favorite is the ceramic bobbins by Griffin and also the cermaic by Terra Tools they both work really well for me. Just got a Rite Bobbin "ceramic mag" in the mail today, guess I'll have to give that a try.

I have only two. the martarelli I hate. the other one is longer than the M..., and has ceramic in the ends of the flared tube and has "DFT" stamped on the barrels with a sqaure brass piece in the center...I love this one. I think it is made by Thompson which is supposedly gone under dunno.gif ? If any one knows the latter bobbin I described is,please let me know where I can order a few more!

A.A.

Re; The Ekich Bobbin.

There are two threads on the F*OL Fly Tying Forum about the Ekich Bobbin that make for some interesting (and entertaining) reading.

Hywel