Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rfsup

UV flashlights

Anyone tried an off-the-shelf UV flashlight for curing epoxies? Anyone know if the wavelength matters? There seem to be plenty on the market that are considerably less expensive than the proprietary brands from the fly shops.

Funny you posted this. I bought a flashlight off ebay (US seller but I am sure its from China) to try with the epoxy. I love the clear cure goo but charging as much as they do for a cheap chinese flashlight irritates me. Just my $.02!

Anyone tried an off-the-shelf UV flashlight for curing epoxies? Anyone know if the wavelength matters? There seem to be plenty on the market that are considerably less expensive than the proprietary brands from the fly shops.

Try this one.

Or this one.

Most of these UV Gels cure with a broad spectrum of UV light, 385nm - 450nm.

This one happens to work well on UV Knot Sense and Clear Cure Goo.

You can also use it to detect counterfeit bills.

If you really want to gross yourself out turn the lights out in your motel room the next time.

Shine this light on different surfaces and it will make blood borne surfaces fluoresce.

Kimo

Bought an air conditioning inspection kit from auto parts store - for around $15 got the UV light, batteries, and a pair of yellow lens safety goggles. So far it's worked well with Loon's UV cure products, but it's only a single-bulb light, so it does take a bit longer.

the frequency of light matters. Most of the stuff we use in fishing/flies is catalyzed by a wide band of the UV spectrum as Kimo said.

The materials are not epoxies- epoxies cure when the chemicals are mixed, resulting in heat and hardening due to a chemical reaction. UV acrylics catalyze upon exposure to whatever frequency of light the 100-pound heads make them.

the frequency of light matters. Most of the stuff we use in fishing/flies is catalyzed by a wide band of the UV spectrum as Kimo said.

The materials are not epoxies- epoxies cure when the chemicals are mixed, resulting in heat and hardening due to a chemical reaction. UV acrylics catalyze upon exposure to whatever frequency of light the 100-pound heads make them.

True. However, I think there are only a few UV LEDs that are available to the flashlight manufacturers. If that is true, there may be many different flashlight makers but very few different frequencies. I have not yet bought a UV flashlight that won't work. All three different flashlights I bought all cure the UV acrylic. Could it be they all use the same LED because it is the cheapest and most widely availableLED? I say buy a cheap UV LED light and try it. I bet it will work as well and you won't feel bad when the switch fails from being clicked on and off thousands of times.

I have just ordered my fourth different UV LED flashlight. I'll give some of the extra ones away to my tying friends or use them for my tying classes.

I think It is cheaper for the UV acrylic to be "tuned' to cure at the UV light spectrum of an already available UV LED. The acrylic makers do not want the cost of designing a special UV LED to work with only with their acrylic. It would be like a car maker wanting a special gasoline that would work only with their vehicle engine.

Any idea if the 375 nm Streamlight stylus will work?

I would like one to carry on stream with me for the Loon wader repair but i have had terrible luck with the Loon lights and wont buy another one.

Streamlight Stylus

Any idea if the 375 nm Streamlight stylus will work?

Most of these UV Gels cure with a broad spectrum of UV light, 385nm - 450nm.

it might

Thanks for the responses. I don't mind paying the fly-fishing tax on most stuff, but when you can get a 5 buck flashlight that does the same thing as the 36 dollar one from the fly company...

(PS:I know they're not epoxies, it was a generic term!)

Good info! It is something I have considered buying, but due to the cost etc.

Kimo, Detergents can also light up under a UV light, tide especially so. It will also light up rodent droppings. It can be a very handy tool when buying a home as it will let you know if they have pets as it will pick up the urine or again if they have overdid the carpet cleaning.

marc